Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project News

Developer Snapshot Releases

News from the ever evolving world of FlightGear.

Re: Developer Snapshot Releases

Postby curt » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:19 pm

1Gb might be a little on the light side ... especially if you are running other software at the same time.
curt
Administrator

Postby Liam » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:33 pm

someguy wrote in Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:07 am:Liam, does your copy take 2 minutes to launch, like mine does? It usually takes forever to quit, too, unless I force-quit.

No I found it to be very quick, compared to the last time I used the mac launcher.. i've been using GIT since the last one though so I can't really remember. I did notice my FPS is actually better than usual in sim, which was already good on this machine; although I'm not sure what has been changed that could cause that... Maybe it's just my imagination. Either way; Runs like a charm! However I do find that the application takes about 20 seconds to load, which it always did on the mac launchers for me... I'm not sure if you mean that or the splash loading time.
Liam

Callsign: Liam
Version: GIT

Postby VicMar » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:33 pm

curt wrote in Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:19 pm:1Gb might be a little on the light side ... especially if you are running other software at the same time.

I rarely fly these days, too busy modelling, but when I do only my 'Mail' and 1 Browser are on at the same time. I seem to manage just fine, but really notice things slow down if I leave the shaders in place. Without them, everything is brilliant. I am resigned to my lot until I can afford some more RAM.

Cheers,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Merik » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:18 am

Flightgear loads relatively slow on my current machine. It has 3GB of RAM but the graphic card is an onboard ATI and I think this sharing of graphical and general memory is what makes it slow. The CPU is a 3 core fast one.
I'm using FlightGear Git version on a Win 7 machine with an onboard ATI graphic card and 3 GB of RAM.

These are the link I've found useful: Types of AirspeedE6B emulatorAirspaces explained with examples
Merik

Postby someguy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:31 am

It's not RAM: I have 4 GB. I reduced the fgfs load time from 2 minutes to under 30 seconds by disabling the AI traffic manager in preferences.xml--it seemed to be loading every damned airliner on every damned airport in the world. This also cut quitting down to 2-3 seconds.

The material shaders are too laggy to permit flying in mp unless no other aircraft are within view. I've already deleted all the airliners and the C172P from my Aircraft folder, since just one of them will drop my frame rate to single digits. I don't know another way to deal with the models that have too much detail.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Merik » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:30 pm

Disabling traffic manager didn't help much with my loading time.
I'm using FlightGear Git version on a Win 7 machine with an onboard ATI graphic card and 3 GB of RAM.

These are the link I've found useful: Types of AirspeedE6B emulatorAirspaces explained with examples
Merik

Postby Vinura » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:03 am

When is the next snapshot coming out curt?
Vinura

Postby curt » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:14 pm

Missed one week due to hudson server misbehaving. Missed another week due to work. This past weekend I was out of town for a wedding and pulled two all nighters driving. Got about 2 hrs of sleep this morning after I got home. Not sure if I'll get the next release started this morning, but will try for sometime this week.
curt
Administrator

Postby curt » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:26 pm

Newest snapshot package is available for download here:

http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/ ... 110629.exe

I missed a couple updates due to build server problems, and then being out of town, etc. but I should be back on track here again with weekly releases.
curt
Administrator

Postby Hooray » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:21 pm

this thread is getting more and more bloated, wouldn't it be a great idea to simply post such announcements/updates to the upcoming FG newsletter? :-)

I am pretty sure, that would give us much wider exposure to more beta testers...
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby curt » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:20 pm

I've been trying to build snapshot releases on a weekly basis. The newsletter is a monthly thing.

Best regards,

Curt.
curt
Administrator

Postby Hooray » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:21 am

curt wrote in Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:20 pm:I've been trying to build snapshot releases on a weekly basis. The newsletter is a monthly thing.

Yes, I do understand that - but we could still add a new section "'Snapshot releases" to the newsletter - which would have (up to) 4 updates for each month, that way more people could check out the binary snapshots, without having to read the mailing lists or the forums.

EDIT: Curt, I have taken the liberty to copy/paste parts of your initial posting and add them to a new section in the newsletter - I hope you are okay with that. For the current newsletter please see http://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear_N ... t_releases

This new section is now also part of the template for upcoming newsletters - so that it will become part of all future newsletters.So if you'd like to change this in some shape or form, it would probably make sense to directly change the underlying template at http://wiki.flightgear.org/Talk:Next_newsletter

Let me know if you'd like to see any changes or improvements
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby curt » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:09 pm

Ok, thanks, sounds like a good idea.
curt
Administrator

Postby chris_blues » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:48 am

Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues

Postby curt » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:35 pm

The newest snapshot package is available for download here:

http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/ ... 110705.exe

Includes an updated version of OSG (open scene graph).
curt
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to News