Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project News

Developer Snapshot Releases

News from the ever evolving world of FlightGear.

Re: Developer Snapshot Releases

Postby Gijs » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:55 pm

Just downloaded it, on our new computer :)

Download was very slow (took over 60 minutes), a complaint I've heard from several people (with downloading times that were much worse than mine). But, once the download was completed, it installed like a charm, within several minutes. Everything was unpacked very nicely and the installer was nice (altough the image on the left at the welcome screen wasn't that nice :P). Well done Curt!

Further testing will be done, but so far I already love this new computer. Framerates multiplied by ran up to ca. 90fps, rather than the 15 I'm used to :D
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby curt » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:10 pm

Thanks for the kind words Gijs, really I'm just packaging the output of the hudson build server + the git data package. In terms of download times, I push the image out to 3 mirrors (ibiblio.com, goflyflightgear.com, and kingmont.com) and hope that it then gets pulled by the other mirrors. An 60-75 minutes of download time would correspond to 256kbit DSL download speeds I believe.

I need to start shopping for a new desktop myself ... my old PC is struggling. I used to build my own PC's from scratch, but have gone through a phase where I've bought off the shelf stuff (like an HP slimline which turned out not to be the best chioce for my needs.) Now I'm hunting around a bit, and not really finding a lot that I'm happy with. Maybe I'll have to go back to building my own systems again? Can anyone recommend a place that sells moderately priced gear with reasonable performance and offers some choice as to what goes into the machine? I stumbled on cyberpowerpc.com for no particular reason and that seems to be closest to the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Curt.
Last edited by Gijs on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No useless quoting please. Even you Curt ;)
curt
Administrator

Postby Jetman. » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:45 pm

Ahh, looks like I downloaded a Snapshot from late December. I still love it. Maybe in a week I'll download that latest. Thanks for the info Curt.

p.s. Lol at Gijs's comment on why he edited Curt's post. :lol:
Favorite Aircraft: Pretty much all military aircraft.

FG videos on YouTube! Choose the FlightGear playlist!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ParasiteQueen1

SPECS
8GB RAM 1600Mhz DDR3
AMD A8-5500 Quad @ 3.2Ghz Turbo 3.7Ghz
Zotac GTX 750Ti 2GB GDDR5
Jetman.

Callsign: Jetman
Version: 3.2

Postby Kabuki » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:40 am

Flightgear_captain wrote in Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:34 am::evil: :evil:

My computer had to be factory-reset after a hard-drive failure. :( Now, i must go through 5 F***ing DAYS of redownloading. Sorry about the shouting. I hate that, when an important installer file is lost.

ps i forgot to backup. oops. :oops:

It probably took me 3 days, on and off of downloading to get it. But it's pretty nice the way Firefox lets you pause a download if you need the bandwidth for other things for the moment, then resume it. This included several system shutdowns. I'd actually forgotten I was downloading it, and then this little message popped up telling me it was done.

It did not install at first. But I read somewhere else in this forum about spaces in directory paths, so I changed them from the default, and it installed OK.

The only other issue I'm having to deal with is the way the new launcher uses the old one's configuration files. You won't notice this if you abandon 2.0 for 2.2, but if you're like me, and want to keep 2.0 around, some apparent conflicts arise. E.g. the path to the executable has to be manually edited each time you want to switch versions. The scenery directories need to be minded as well.

Finally, "whoa! the weather!". The environment/weather settings are WAY more involved and complex than 2.0. I started flying with intense turbulence, until I found the local weather settings and played with them. Ahem, I think there might be an audience for an ultra-simple weather configurator, which sets only wind direction and speed. There are SO many variables that can be controlled with 2.2.

Thank you, masked man, for that build/setup server!
This is a family-friendly saloon. No talk stink.
Kabuki

Location: Usually on the ground, always in the sky, except when underwater.
Callsign: Kabuki
Version: 3.0.0

Postby Kabuki » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:47 am

bishb25 wrote in Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:41 pm:I installed V20101227 this afternoon. It appeared to freeze on "creating directories" again, but instead of killing the process I went to lunch for about an hour and when I came back install was complete. I guess patience really is a virtue.

I guess so. I let it simmer for about 20 minutes, saw no progress, gave up. Came back, and took the spaces out of the directory paths, and it installed directly.

[quote="bishb25";p=108083
Pros: It's the easiest way to get a GIT version of FlightGear.
No messing around with third party software.

Cons: It doesn't come with the full fgdata repository. At least not all of the aircraft. So if you want them you have to install msysgit and clone the full fgdata yourself.
[/quote]

You might try copying the aircraft from your old aircraft directory. Maybe some won't work, but I seriously doubt it would mess up your installation.
This is a family-friendly saloon. No talk stink.
Kabuki

Location: Usually on the ground, always in the sky, except when underwater.
Callsign: Kabuki
Version: 3.0.0

Postby Jetman. » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:10 pm

Here's a nifty little program that I use to download things off the web:
Download Accelerator Plus http://www.speedbit.com/

It made my Snapshot download go to 25 minutes instead of 60-75. It's 100% free (you can upgrade if you want to), and it makes download speeds go 400% faster (they say). Just something to use when downloading large Flightgear data, scenery, etc.

P.S. Is compatible with Mac.
Favorite Aircraft: Pretty much all military aircraft.

FG videos on YouTube! Choose the FlightGear playlist!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ParasiteQueen1

SPECS
8GB RAM 1600Mhz DDR3
AMD A8-5500 Quad @ 3.2Ghz Turbo 3.7Ghz
Zotac GTX 750Ti 2GB GDDR5
Jetman.

Callsign: Jetman
Version: 3.2

Postby El Flauta » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:05 pm

It's me, or are some bugs with sceneries?

I can't load any custom-made airport on my new FlightGear snapshot :o and parkings aren't working, even in KSFO
Vive FlightGear! Have you a Ñ on your keyboard? Spain-LatinAmerica FlightGear community!
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Callsign: CC-FLT
Version: 3

Postby Merik » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:29 am

curt wrote in Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:10 pm:In terms of download times, I push the image out to 3 mirrors (ibiblio.com, goflyflightgear.com, and kingmont.com) and hope that it then gets pulled by the other mirrors. An 60-75 minutes of download time would correspond to 256kbit DSL download speeds I believe.

I'm on a much faster internet connection, but download speed for the linked snapshot was capped to about 230-240 KBps (a total time of about 30 minutes). I got it from ibiblio server.

PS: Also, the installer hanged at the "creating folders" stage (which is the first step after you're done inserting parameters) for a few minutes, before its progress bar started moving.
Last edited by Gijs on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please read the qouting guidelines.
I'm using FlightGear Git version on a Win 7 machine with an onboard ATI graphic card and 3 GB of RAM.

These are the link I've found useful: Types of AirspeedE6B emulatorAirspaces explained with examples
Merik

Postby HHS » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:10 pm

El Flauta wrote in Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:05 pm:It's me, or are some bugs with sceneries?

I can't load any custom-made airport on my new FlightGear snapshot :o and parkings aren't working, even in KSFO

No bug.

--use-custom-scenery=true is now default (before it was set to false), that means that all scenery pulled by TerraSync and the upcoming scenery available on the download page will work.
You can shift your parkings from data/Airports (?) to data/Scenery/Airports or terrasync/Airports or set it back to false.
Up, up and away
HHS

Version: GIT

Postby El Flauta » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:25 pm

But... why even in KSFO the parking selection doesn't work? It's supposed to be the default scenery... :roll:

But well, i guess that we need to fix all the "Readme" files for sceneries available in our site. I'm not the only who can't see the airports made by us.
Vive FlightGear! Have you a Ñ on your keyboard? Spain-LatinAmerica FlightGear community!
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Postby HHS » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:31 pm

El Flauta wrote in Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:25 pm:But... why even in KSFO the parking selection doesn't work? It's supposed to be the default scenery... :roll:

But well, i guess that we need to fix all the "Readme" files for sceneries available in our site. I'm not the only who can't see the airports made by us.

Look in your scenery folder if there is under Airport/K/S/F is a parking.xml for KSFO. If so then it should work with --use-custom-scenery=true.
If not then you just see the spots defined in data/Airports/KSFO/parking.xml in your launcher but FGFS itself doesn't take that in account.
Up, up and away
HHS

Postby El Flauta » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:47 pm

I am working away of my city this week, and i will to check my folders on weekend. However, i remember "data/AI/airports/KSFO.xml" in the folders, and i copied my own XMLs in the same way and order, without results. Maybe some documentation about the changes could be useful...

But i still having a question: I have a clean install of the FlightGear snapshot, and no other version is installed now. Why in the default install the parkings doesn't work? I think... i understand that is a "development snapshot", a test; but if doesn't work at first, then maybe a bug.
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Postby HHS » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:39 pm

El Flauta wrote in Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:47 pm:But i still having a question: I have a clean install of the FlightGear snapshot, and no other version is installed now. Why in the default install the parkings doesn't work? I think... i understand that is a "development snapshot", a test; but if doesn't work at first, then maybe a bug.

Maybe Curt doesn't included the latest scenery available per terrasync.
Up, up and away
HHS

Postby El Flauta » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:48 am

HHS wrote in Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:39 pm:Maybe Curt doesn't included the latest scenery available per terrasync.

Oh, i didn't explain well. Sorry.

I wasn't talking about terrasync sceneries (i don't use terrasync). I was talking about our custom sceneries, made with xml & ac files placed with the UFO, edited stg files... they worked until the last snapshot, but now they stopped, and can't be seen on FG. The parkings made by our community doesn't work too.

---

HHS wrote in Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:10 pm:--use-custom-scenery=true is now default (before it was set to false), that means that all scenery pulled by TerraSync and the upcoming scenery available on the download page will work.
You can shift your parkings from data/Airports (?) to data/Scenery/Airports or terrasync/Airports or set it back to false.

Sadly, i can't find a place in FGRun to see how "--use-custom-scenery" settings are. Where can I modify it?

None of our community sceneries are available on terrasync, and we even make some temporal objects only for our events. Then, to have a clean way to see any object placed with UFO really matter to us :oops:

(KSFO parkings are under data/AI/Airports/KSFO and data/Scenery/Airports/K/S/F/KSFO.parking.xml... and aren't working)
--
PZL M18B Dromader
CASA C-101 Aviojet
Cessna 337G Skymaster
El Flauta

Postby ot-666 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:53 pm

El Flauta wrote in Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:48 am:Sadly, i can't find a place in FGRun to see how "--use-custom-scenery" settings are. Where can I modify it?

None of our community sceneries are available on terrasync, and we even make some temporal objects only for our events. Then, to have a clean way to see any object placed with UFO really matter to us :oops:

(KSFO parkings are under data/AI/Airports/KSFO and data/Scenery/Airports/K/S/F/KSFO.parking.xml... and aren't working)

This option you need to edit in preferences.xml

Oliver
Callsign: ot-666
Working on LOWI and other stuff - Custom Scenery Overlay Repo: http://gitorious.org/fgfs-custom-scenery/custom-scenery-overlay/
VMX22 - Osprey... sometimes in 2014
ot-666

Callsign: ot-666
IRC name: ot666

PreviousNext

Return to News