Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

how much bandwidth does MP use?

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

how much bandwidth does MP use?

Postby Raven » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:01 am

I am on hughes net and have a restricted amount of data that i can download. I am not sure if hughes net includes upload in the limits that i have. I am curious as to how much bandwidth and traffic MP uses up. I enjoy playing on the MP servers but if it is going to slow my internet down to below dial up speeds i cant play on it. If anyone is using hughes net and plays on MP please let me know if it trips the FAP.
Raven

Callsign: RA6906
Version: 2

Re: how much bandwidth does MP use?

Postby AndersG » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:56 pm

A FlightGear instance usually sends 10 packets per second to the MP server. The packets vary in size but typical sizes range from 500 bytes to 1000 bytes per packet.
Hence, your up-link usage will be in the 40-80kbit/sec range and your down-link usage will be that multiplied by the number of users you have nearby (i.e. see in the pilot list dialog).

/Anders
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Return to Multiplayer