Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

Mpmap always shows the same planes!?

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Mpmap always shows the same planes!?

Postby Kabuki » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:32 pm

I use the mpmap server (web page with map showing aircraft) to look around before flying online, but have noticed something strange. I don't know how long this has been going on, but I can't believe I haven't noticed it yet.

When the map page loads, I see a map of the KSFO airport, and there's a pilot list in the control panel. One of the tabs lets you select a server. I used to use it to select a server to connect to, and I can't believe I never noticed (or has it changed?) that no matter which server I select, I see the same planes. The map doesn't change. Yes, I wait for the map to update. Something broke?
This is a family-friendly saloon. No talk stink.
Kabuki

Location: Usually on the ground, always in the sky, except when underwater.
Callsign: Kabuki
Version: 3.0.0

Re: Mpmap always shows the same planes!?

Postby Gijs » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:36 pm

You mean with every server you see the same planes? That's correct! Our servers are interconnected, so loggin in to one should make you visible on all.
See also our wiki: http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Multiplayer
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Kabuki » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:47 pm

Then I have a dumb question: What is the purpose of being able to select a server from the map, if no information changes?
Last edited by Gijs on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No useless quoting please.
Kabuki

Postby Gijs » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:15 pm

Two reasons that I can think off:
1. I said "should" by intention in my previous post. Due to overload of certain servers (especially 02, always refrain from using that one!), not all pilots are always shared between the servers. So there are inconsistencies.
2. Retrieving data from a server consumes bandwidth. Bandwidth is a valuable thing. Spreading the load over multiple servers will speed them all up and will help to make the situation created by point 1 better.

At our wiki you can learn what's the best server to pick for you.

Cheers,
Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Kabuki » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:30 pm

Gijs wrote:Two reasons that I can think off:
1. I said "should" by intention in my previous post. Due to overload of certain servers (especially 02, always refrain from using that one!), not all pilots are always shared between the servers. So there are inconsistencies.
2. Retrieving data from a server consumes bandwidth. Bandwidth is a valuable thing. Spreading the load over multiple servers will speed them all up and will help to make the situation created by point 1 better.

At our wiki you can learn what's the best server to pick for you.

Cheers,
Gijs

The puzzlement comes from my thinking that the servers on the map were discrete -- the map would only show the aircraft for the selected server. I'm back to flying after some 8 months absence, but if my memory is correct, it used to be that way -- which is how I chose the server to connect to. I always use either the one in Texas or the one in Wisconsin, and both seem to work fine. I've never done a traceroute or ping to see which one is faster, because there's never been a need. KSFO seems pretty dead today compared to yesterday. And it looks like there are consistently more people flying now than there were a year ago, which is nice!
Kabuki

Return to Multiplayer