Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

MPMaps portray bleak, aircraft-free world...

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

MPMaps portray bleak, aircraft-free world...

Postby Algernon » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:31 pm

...or more likely, something's fallen over. When I first started on FG a month or two back, I could use mpmap01.flightgear.org - suddenly, this connection was timing out (still is) and so I moved onto mpmap02. Now mpmap02 is not showing any pilots - it happened to me for a day or so before now, then came back - does this indicate something serverlike needs to be restarted somewhere? And are there any other alternative maps that could be used in the meantime, just in case it takes a while?

Thanks in advance :)

Update: I've discovered the "server" tab on the multiplayer map and, lo and behold, I've found some pilots. But far fewer than I've ever seen at this time of day, and one solitary aircraft carrier in San Francisco bay is all there is to show for the US FG community. I'm guessing something has gone down that synchronises that information between the global servers, producing a similar effect to IRC netsplits perhaps?
Last edited by Algernon on Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Algernon
FGUK - A FlightGear community in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland
Developer: Eurofighter EF2000 - English Electric Lightning - Handley Page Victor
Algernon

Callsign: G-ALGY
Version: 2019.1.1

Re: MPMaps portray bleak, aircraft-free world...

Postby Gijs » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:49 pm

Quite some servers are down (see this link) at the moment. http://mpmap02.flightgear.org/ works fine, as long as you select a working server through the "Server" tab.

EDIT: You see less pilots than normal, since most pilots won't notice their server is down, or won't know how to switch to a working server...
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Nemesis » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:09 pm

Is the server prob also responsible for the fact that Manston airfield is currently engulfed in clouds and as I sit on the runway, my altitude is showing as 3182ft, lol?
Come and explore all the British isles has to offer. Great countryside, great company, and of course, great muffins! Join the FGUK. It does exactly what it says on the can.
Nemesis

Callsign: G-LIMA, ARMY664
Version: 2

Postby Algernon » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:59 am

Nemesis wrote:Is the server prob also responsible for the fact that Manston airfield is currently engulfed in clouds and as I sit on the runway, my altitude is showing as 3182ft, lol?

Nope, your problem there is straying into Kent, mate - weird old place ;)

The MP world does seem to be disintegrating a little, I can no longer find a functioning map server out of the 12 or so possibilities given on the MPMAP server tab! Most concerning...
Algernon
FGUK - A FlightGear community in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland
Developer: Eurofighter EF2000 - English Electric Lightning - Handley Page Victor
Algernon

Callsign: G-ALGY
Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Nemesis » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:39 am

Nope, your problem there is straying into Kent, mate - weird old place

Hehe! That had occured to me but I didn't wanna say anything and risk offending you bleedin satherners :wink:
Come and explore all the British isles has to offer. Great countryside, great company, and of course, great muffins! Join the FGUK. It does exactly what it says on the can.
Nemesis

Callsign: G-LIMA, ARMY664
Version: 2

Postby clrCoda » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:57 am

As of writing, things appear better on servers now, some anyway, and tracking appears to have returned.
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Re: MP-Map down?

Postby MinJun » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:08 pm

6/12 MPServer seem to be offline at the moment. http://pigeond.net/flightgear/mpstatus/
In mpmap02.flightgear.org, click on the "server"-tab (your screenshot shows the active pilots-tab) and choose a MPServer which is online or tell the website which MPServer to use with adding a parameter at the end of the url.

Example:
http://mpmap02.flightgear.org/?fg_server=mpserver04:5000,mpserver04.flightgear.org,5001
MinJun

Callsign: MinJun
Version: GIT

Return to Multiplayer