Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

How to place your MP carrier?

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

How to place your MP carrier?

Postby StuartC » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:52 pm

Every time ive tried this ive ended up crusing the coast near sanfrancisco.
How do I get a carrier into a new location?
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Re: How to place your MP carrier?

Postby AndersG » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:41 am

StuartC wrote:Every time ive tried this ive ended up crusing the coast near sanfrancisco.
How do I get a carrier into a new location?

You can manipulate the longitude and latitude in /ai/models/carrier[x]/position/ using the property browser (File->Browse internal properties). To find which carrier entry belongs to your carrier you need to look at the name property. On my system Nimitz was /ai/models/carrier[0] but this may vary.

/Anders
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby StuartC » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:18 am

What format is the data that I need to put in the position field ?
is it lat/long like :- position/54.2 -4.6 ( random figures )
StuartC

Postby AndersG » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:31 am

StuartC wrote:What format is the data that I need to put in the position field ?
is it lat/long like :- position/54.2 -4.6 ( random figures )

That ought to be obvious when you have opened the property browser and navigated to the right subtree, but it is decimal degrees, south and west are negative.

/Anders
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby StuartC » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:16 am

ok, found the lat/long settings.

I set them using the Lat/long readings from the MP map to a point near the isle of man in the UK. This isnt where the ship ended up. It appeared in open ocean with no land masses nearby.
Is there a way to set the start position permanently rather than starting it up and setting it every time ?
StuartC

Postby AndersG » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:25 pm

StuartC wrote:ok, found the lat/long settings.

I set them using the Lat/long readings from the MP map to a point near the isle of man in the UK. This isnt where the ship ended up. It appeared in open ocean with no land masses nearby.
Is there a way to set the start position permanently rather than starting it up and setting it every time ?

Could you have mixed up the longitude and latitude? You did have scenery installed for for the location?
If you want to move Nimitz permanently then you could update the position and operating box in the AI/nimitz_demo.xml file.
(If you only update the position the AI will try just to sail back to the operating box. That is ok if you only want to use manual control, though.)

/Anders
AndersG

Postby StuartC » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:14 pm

Ive tried to edit the XML file instead for a permanent location change.

Ive entered the lat/long details for the nimitz and set a fairly large operating box for it and I get an error right at the start when I use FGRUN and set off to connect to a server :-

Fatal error: failed to open file from carrier ( received from SimGear Parser )
StuartC

Postby StuartC » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:23 am

Scarp my last. It looks like the installs corrupted. Cant get it to load with anything.
StuartC

Return to Multiplayer