Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

Do the MP Servers go through periodic lapses?

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Do the MP Servers go through periodic lapses?

Postby ChocBoy » Sun May 02, 2010 7:31 pm

Hi all,

I've been noticing that sometimes, the mp servers just randomly go down. I have everything going smoothly, and then, FG doesn't even try to connect to the server. And to top it off, MPMAP01 is unloadable via internet. Is it my computer or does the server actually go down sometimes? If the server map is down, then I'm guessing it is the latter...

Thanks,
ChocBoy
Account locked by self soon. Taking a break from FG. If you want to contact me, email me. Please don't hesitate. Anything, email.
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Callsign: ChocBoy

Re: Do the MP Servers go through periodic lapses?

Postby mattt » Sun May 02, 2010 10:13 pm

So when you're having trouble connecting a FlightGear instance instance to a server, just telnet to the server to test it's upness...

Cheers,
Mattt.
FG CVS on: E7400 @ ~3.2ghz, Asus P5e, 4gb RAM, 512mb 8400GS, MS FF Pro, Logitech Illum KB, 2 x 19" LCDs
Favourite aircraft: 737-900ER, 777-200ER, 787, A380, F-14b, F-18, C172p
FGCom usually at 122.75mhz
FGVAS: http://fgvas.mattts.net
mattt

Callsign: Mattt

Postby ChocBoy » Mon May 03, 2010 12:02 am

mattt wrote:So when you're having trouble connecting a FlightGear instance instance to a server, just telnet to the server to test it's upness...

Cheers,
Mattt.

What do you mean by "telnetting" it? Sorry if I seem completely stupid here, :D :D :D :D
Account locked by self soon. Taking a break from FG. If you want to contact me, email me. Please don't hesitate. Anything, email.
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Postby mattt » Mon May 03, 2010 12:26 am

Telnet is a protocol for... ummm... talking to another computer via a command prompt (for want of a better simple explanation).

On Windoze (if I remember correctly - we don't have any Windoze boxen in the house, and I couldn't be assed firing up a virtual machine), you'd open a command prompt and type:

Code: Select all
telnet \\mpserver02.flightgear.org 5001

Obviously, replace the server name with the name of the actual server you're interrogating. The port number (5001 in my example) is usually the port you'd use in your FG config + 1.

If the server is up and functional, you should get back something like:

Code: Select all
# This is pigeond.net
# FlightGear Multiplayer Server v0.9.11 using protocol version v1.1 (LazyRelay rev 1.14)
# This server is tracked: 62.112.194.20
# 31 pilots online

...followed by some data relating to currently connected clients (mostly, a big bunch of numbers :-)).

Cheers,
Mattt.
FG CVS on: E7400 @ ~3.2ghz, Asus P5e, 4gb RAM, 512mb 8400GS, MS FF Pro, Logitech Illum KB, 2 x 19" LCDs
Favourite aircraft: 737-900ER, 777-200ER, 787, A380, F-14b, F-18, C172p
FGCom usually at 122.75mhz
FGVAS: http://fgvas.mattts.net
mattt

Callsign: Mattt

Postby ChocBoy » Mon May 03, 2010 1:18 am

Oh, ok. Thanks.
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Return to Multiplayer