Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

Navigraph with FlightGear - How to Install?

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Navigraph with FlightGear - How to Install?

Postby parhelia_0000 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:38 am

Hey guys,

I'm loving the FlightGear thus far. I've been having so much fun flying Air Canada online, thank you very much to everyone in the Discord server who helped me get set up.

Having said that, I would like to find a way to update the outdated navdata. I've been doing some research online and it shows that Navigraph FMS Manager doesn't support FlightGear, sadly, so it's gonna come down to a manual install.

Does Navigraph still support manual installations by any chance? 'Cause as far as I remember, I know there used to be the Level D 767 navdata that FlightGear pilots could use to manually update the navdata inside FlightGear, but the link no longer works. If not, is there a workaround when flying on VATSIM? 'Cause I want to do CYYZ-RKSI soon, but I don't want to fly outdated flight plans that'll force me to fly over Russia (especially given the current airspace ban that the default navdata flight plan on FlightGear doesn't allow me to take into account).

Any suggestions on how to work around this problem is appreciated, thank you!
parhelia_0000

Re: Navigraph with FlightGear - How to Install?

Postby Isaak » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:30 am

You can use Navigraph to update the FlightGear navaids, fixes and procedures. See this topic and this wiki page ;-)

Be aware that updating the nav.dat file can break some localisers, when a runway is named otherwise in FlightGear due to a runway designator change IRL.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Postby parhelia_0000 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:08 am

Breaking localisers? Is this a major concern for Canadian airports? 'Cause I just recently launched a virtual airline based in Canada and I don't want to deal with a situation where ILS approaches are no longer possible because of the update...
parhelia_0000

Postby V12 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:02 pm

Yes, it is really possible, because FG has very obsolete airport data.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby dom_vc10 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:44 pm

It's quite easy to overcome.

You can use the change runway_rename.xml. I found some rare issue so I use newer apt.dat files and just add then to a folder /NavData/apt and add that to my addon scenery. Once a new one is added next start-up FG takes that data into it's DB. I can just add new apt files from the xp gateway and it will be correct when I need.

Or you can rebuild the who scenery tiles with terragear - That you can research it's fun but need to learn a bit first :-)
dom_vc10

Version: nightly

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:03 pm

dom_vc10 wrote in Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:44 pm:Or you can rebuild the who scenery tiles with terragear - That you can research it's fun but need to learn a bit first :-)

and it'll all be changing when WS3 is ready... changing for the better in a lot of ways...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Avionyx » Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:36 am

Thought I'd look into this as I was speaking to someone the other day that asked the Navigraph team if they could support FG. They have said they could well do but have never received any requests from "FlightGear" to look into it.

Is it worth starting the conversation with them. I'd be happy to pick it up but there are probably people better placed to do it. However if there are other changes afoot when WS3 comes in perhaps now isn't the time? always good to prepare the ground though.

Alex
Avionyx

Callsign: G-AVYX
Version: 2020.4

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:14 am

i was speaking about the building of the scenery tiles when WS3 arrives... AFAIK the use of navigraph data files should not affect the *building* of the tiles...

as for support, IIRWIR, it is simply a matter of
  1. taking the Level D files,
  2. renaming them,
  3. and then placing them in the proper directory tree format that FG uses...
the only real PITA is the shear number of files which is why there are scripts available for this ugly task... if there are other files that FG could use, maybe what needs to be done for them can be discussed? idk...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Multiplayer