Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

How to communicate with ATC

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

How to communicate with ATC

Postby kemosabe » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:45 pm

Hi all,

I am flying FG 2020.3.9 and FG 2020.3.8, using iMac Retina 5K 2017 with 24 GB RAM and Intel quad-core I5.

I tune in COM1/COM2, and have no trouble hearing ATC at airports.

However, I am unable to initiate requests. I am just trying to get the popup strip/banner on the screen, and am NOT attempting to comunicate by voice.

As far as I can tell, I am supposed to hit comma on keybaord. But nothing happens. I tried "single quote mark" and that didn't work. Somewhere, I read that I should try left bracket (right?), so maybe that will work.

Any ideas? Thanks.
kemosabe

Re: How to communicate with ATC

Postby LoCall » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:29 pm

Hello Kemosabe,

unsure to understand your question 100% without ambiguity.

What does it happen if you press key "-" (dash) ?

Is it what you are looking for ?

Kind Regards
LoCall

Postby kemosabe » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:58 pm

Hi LoCall,

I have not tried "dash". Next time I fly, I will.

The only things I remember seeing on how to get ATC dialogue (banner strip on display, NOT talking) was to use comma ( , ) or left bracket ( [ ) on keyboard.
kemosabe

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:11 pm

it isn't the comma... if anything, it is the single quote (aka apostrophe)... don't expect too much, though... this AI ATC is very simplistic and easily confused...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby benih » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:37 pm

You can also try the red Griffin atc addon. It’s very sophisticated!
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX
Version: next

Postby LoCall » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:36 pm

Hi Kemosabe,

Would be lovely to let us know if are you still looking for an answer or further answer to your question.

Trying here to give a closing at this chapter.

If you are looking for the “auto” texts ATC messages, you have 2 possibilities built in FG and 2 more with 2 add-ons.

1. press the key [ ‘ ] it should open the “ATC communication” menu like pointed out by WhiteKitty.

2. press the key [ - ] to open a text menu with a little set of some “typical” ATC phrase you can call by pressing the number indicated at the start of the line.
note:
easy way to text with other connected users : [ - ] [ 1 ] “Your message” [ Enter ]
Warning : if you have the “User Chat” Window open, that will steal away the use of the [ enter] key.

3. by the add-on ATC Speaker that go a bit further then the 2 precedents but still stand away from the reality.

4. by the add-on Red-Griffin, that go a bit further then the precedents but still do not met with the complexity of the reality nor with the complexity of the procedures.

----

Of course, the goal here is not to disprove nor to belittle any of these automatic software ATC tool.

It is just a fact that, even in real life ATC training facilities, a software able to do "better" than an "human ATC" still have to be invented.

In real ATC training centres, trainee ATCs are trained by Senior very experienced ATCs.

Software are actually limited to computed things like :
- early warning ;
- slot busts (foresee the limits of management per controller per airspace/time (slot) ).
and that is the main reason why IFR flight are often delayed a few minutes already at gate time (EOBT Exit Of Block Time)

“But would not it be possible to build a software intelligent enough to …”
This is a very recurrent question.
The short answer is : “No”.

“But with Artificial Intelligence … “
The answer continue : “No”

The main reason of this Crystal clear “No” is that in real life, all the phraseology cover only about 65% of the situations.
The rest of the situations are not foreseeable and non standard phraseology is to be used to manage them.

Non standard phraseology is like normal language but still mangled in a way to stay very descriptive and very concise.
This is still way beyond what artificial intelligence can do today … in a reliable way.

And then, when it does come about procedures, managing exceptions and managing failures add a new level of complexity.

That said, coming back to the ATC tools we have in FG, it is definitely interesting to have them to allow anyone a first contact with the world of “ATC communication” without having to cop directly with possible lack of confidence or shame feeling.

So this have the merit to preserve the most important spice of Flightgear, the Fun.

:-)

-------------------------------

Now,
this being enough explained :

- Nothing will compare with real human service provided by another user acting as ATC !

In FG, some ATC are still beginner, other are more advanced.

FG is currently having an increasing number of good ATC.
And this is amazing.

What is even more amazing is that most of theses ATC are kind and respectful.

They are not looking to fly the plane instead of the pilot, and they are not :
“The masters of the skies” .

They just are … some guys having real fun providing real service.

Is it not cool ?

-------------------------------

Now, the little plus that no other Sim have :

If you are interested in an interactive fun learning, there it is :
- each Fridays night at EGBB, an ATC/Pilots workshop.

Anyone may freely show up there and pose some questions, try to solve doubts, train some phraseology, train some practice …

This support is almost on a 1 to 1 basis or it is a very small group.

Please have a mic, and, I recommend an headset.
It is way easier to talk than to write. And it is absurd to operate/taxi/fly solo and text messages.

Is it not ?

To communicate using “voice” we use the free software “Mumble”.

Have it here https://www.mumble.info/downloads/

We do not use “discord” and likes because they do not allow the complex organisation we have behind (and typical of Aeronautical Comms Universe).

When installed, click : ADD NEW SERVER

then fill

address : radio-mumble.flightgear.fr
port : 64738 ( this is the default one )
Username : "the callsign you intend to use" (note call signs in real life do not take dash "-" / try max 7 letters/numbers ) (you may change it at any time)
Password : leave blank --- not in use ---.
Label : "anything to help you remember what this connection is for"
Click Ok

- Do "Sound Wizard"
- Setup to use Push to talk button [press to talk]
I suggest to use or the [Scrll lock] or the [Ctrl] key instead of [space].
Or even better a button on your yoke or joystick.

When connected, lookup down the tree for ATC / Europe / UK / England / EGBB .
Once there,

look how simple it is,

just say :

Hello Birmingham, Student Cessna123 (change for your call sign), radio check ?
and the magic will start by itself.

FGXtend
-----------
So many many many channels …
do we have to sleuth the proper channel in that Jungle ?

Simple answer : “No! Just use FGXtend ...”

What FGXtend do ?
FGXtend lookup inside FG the active frequency on your COM1 or COM2 or COM3 or UHF and then will connect automatically with the proper channel/ATC in for you.

All you have to do, fly, enter freq in the radio, press “transfer” on the radio and … voilà.

If the station is in range just report : Student Cessna123, 5 miles east Spaghetti Junction @ 2500 ft.

Feel welcome to show up at EGBB training and have fun with no shame to do all the error you want.

The current bid advantage about the tandem Mumble/FGXtend is it does work for everyone Linux/Windows/Mumble, so no one is left out.

Other airport usually with ATC are :
( In some places, ATC have some real life pilot background… But, you know what, it does really matter. What does is the niceness and the intention to have a moment of fun counting on you too.)

LFPO (Saturdays afternoon and evenings ) mostly airliners in IFR
LFMT (Mostly Saturdays evenings ) mix traffic
LFRS ( different days evenings ) mix traffic
LFKB ( Sundays evenings ) mix traffic
LFKJ ( different days evenings ) mix traffic
LFLL ( different days evenings ) mix traffic
PHKO ( + a few there around) ( different days evenings ) mix traffic
LIPB ( different days afternoon and evenings) Medium airliners and VFR GA traffic
LBSF ( currenlty almost daily ) mix traffic
SBGL ( The Thursday evenings ) mix traffic

A last word.
Any one may expect to find respect.

There is in this community of ATCs a commitment to be grateful for the time you choose to send with us and to respect your fun.
This, of course, come at cost to receive the same respect back.

While we understand that some more beginner user or differently oriented users are not “interested” in go into phraseo and procedures, we try to avoid clashed simply clicking on the option “ignore”.

This will allow them to continue to see us and to have their fun and will allow us to proceed without having the attention too much diverted.

See you then around ?
LoCall

Return to Multiplayer