Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

Your Flightgear experience on Vatsim

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Your Flightgear experience on Vatsim

Postby Silmarilion » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:04 pm

As the title says, I would like to know what is your experience of using Flightgear in combination with Swift client to fly on Vatsim network.

Anyone actively doing it? How good is it?

Any information is welcome.
Silmarilion

Callsign: JAT65
IRC name: Silmarilion
Version: next

Re: Your Flightgear experience on Vatsim

Postby merspieler » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:54 am

Setting it up is quite a hassle...

Once it worked, I had no issues, what so ever... at least with that connection... only fg acting up... but it does so as well in single player.
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler
Version: next

Re: Your Flightgear experience on Vatsim

Postby tdammers » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:34 pm

Swift is a bit of a UX clusterfuck, especially the "model matching" part, which I suspect is about 1000x more complicated than it needs to be. But the technology works well, near flawless, and by now most of the kinks of the setup have been worked out; once set up and working, it's an absolute joy.

The network itself is definitely worth it; compared to FGMP, the professionalism and seriousness of the majority of controllers and pilots is overwhelming. If you want the "full ATC experience", this is your best bet. The only issue might be that it comes with a "bureaucracy simulator" - that's a necessary evil in order to maintain this level of realism and professionalism, and you'll rarely, if ever, witness any trolls, at least not longer than maybe 5 minutes until they kicked off the network. But occasionally, it leads to weirdness, and the politics going on in the VATSIM "government" (I think they actually call it that) are just like the real thing. Fortunately, as a pilot you don't usually have anything to do with that, you just fly and enjoy the service.
tdammers

Callsign: NL256
IRC name: nl256

Return to Multiplayer