Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

FG with VATSIM  Topic is solved

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

FG with VATSIM  

Postby drifter461 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:44 am

When did the conection with VATSIM will be. I think FG is better than many other simulators conected with VATSIM, so if you connect FG to VATSIM, you will attract many pilots.
drifter461

Callsign: WWA461
Version: 2019.2.0

Re: FG with VATSIM

Postby Isaak » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:32 am

It is already possible when you have FG 2019.2.x. See here. I highly recommend following a YouTube tutorial as Swift isn't very intuitive at first.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Postby V12 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:48 pm

Isaak :
What about nav database and procedures ? Are there available free fresh AIRAC data usable with FG ?
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby Isaak » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:15 pm

If you don't have Navigraph (or a similar subscription), then you can use the charts that Vatsim VACC's will normally provide on their respective websites. For recent navdata (fixes, navaids...), that's another case. I think you can obtain those from the Xplane website, but I haven't done so. If you're unable to find them, most ATC's will be happy to guide you to your requested route point via vectors, considering you've requested that in your clearance or put it in the remarks section of your flightplan.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Postby drifter461 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:35 pm

Thank you for the help. I’m already flying with FlightGear on VATSIM
drifter461

Callsign: WWA461
Version: 2019.2.0

Postby V12 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:00 pm

Thx for explanation, I have Navigraph subscription, but was curious, how to fly VATSIM without nav db.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby tdammers » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:41 am

VATSIM doesn't require navigation data. You are expected to possess the procedure data and charts for the flight plans you file though, and the vast majority of pilots on the network will use an FMC to fly them.

But you're free to fly VFR or file "NO RNAV, NO SID/STAR", and a VOR-to-VOR route, especially when flying into and out of smaller fields. If you fly into a large airport during peak hours, and request vectors for the approach, then the controller may put you in a hold, or even ask you to divert, but they will try their best to accommodate you.

Most local chapters also publish charts, or link to freely available charts, and while that doesn't give you nav data you can readily load up into your FMC, it does tell you which procedures to expect, and if you're really hardcode, you can hand-fly them or execute them using traditional VOR/DME/NDB navigation techniques. You can also enter most RNAV routes manually based on the charts, though FG doesn't always have all the fixes you need, so it can be a challenge, and you need to anticipate, because you won't be able to change your arrival on a whim if the controller asks you to fly a different one.
tdammers

Callsign: NL256
IRC name: nl256

Return to Multiplayer