Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

pilot list [view self] button?

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

pilot list [view self] button?

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:30 pm

there is now a [view self] button in the multiplayer pilots list... what is it supposed to do? i click on it and nothing appears to happen other than the button depressing and returning to normal... i've never seen this button do anything since it appeared...

i'm testing in the UFO if that matters... self-built FG 2019.2.0 from the "next" repo...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Re: pilot list [view self] button?

Postby cgdae » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:33 am

The 'view self' button is part of the new multiplayer views support.

For details please see: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Changelog_20 ... ayer_Views

[perhaps it should be greyed out if no multiplayer aircraft are within range.]

Hope that helps,
cgdae

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:25 pm

thanks for the link...
[time passes to read the link]
OH! i have been thinking that it was to view yourself in the pilots list... why not place yourself in the list and then simply click the view option on your line like for others? seems to me that that would be more consistent with the new view addition... plus it would list yourself as well which is something i've kinda been wanting for a while... of course the ignore box would be disabled for yourself as well as the chat box but still...

on greying it out, why not remove it if there are no MP craft within range and then draw it when there are some in range? that, too, would be less confusing to new folks who might be wondering why the button is greyed out and inoperative...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby cgdae » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:22 pm

Just came across this again, and realised i never got round to replying.

[time passes to read the link]
OH! i have been thinking that it was to view yourself in the pilots list... why not place yourself in the list and then simply click the view option on your line like for others? seems to me that that would be more consistent with the new view addition... plus it would list

Yes, that might work, though we'd want to visually distinguish the user's aircraft from the others very clearly. Maybe always have it at the top of the list, and use a special background colour?

yourself as well which is something i've kinda been wanting for a while... of course the ignore box would be disabled for yourself as well as the chat box but still...

on greying it out, why not remove it if there are no MP craft within range and then draw it when there are some in range? that, too, would be less confusing to new folks who might be wondering why the button is greyed out and inoperative...

Or we could simply grey it out (or hide it) whenever the user was viewing their own aircraft? Views automatically switch to the user's aircraft if no multiplayer aircraft are within range, so this might work quite well.

All the code that implements this is Nasal in fgdata, so it should be easy enough for someone to come up with an improved UI here. I'm not sure i have time at the moment to have a go myself.

Thanks,

- Jules
cgdae

Return to Multiplayer