Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

Multiplayer etiquette and effects on others  Topic is solved

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Multiplayer etiquette and effects on others

Postby phineaspgage » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:59 pm

I am new to FG (running on Ubuntu 18.04) and use multiplayer mode for the enhanced experience of seeing other aircraft, etc. However, I do not fully understand how my flights effect others, and I would like to understand the appropriate etiquette for sharing the multiplayer space without undermining the quality of others' experience. Specifically, I'm interested to know how my aircraft behaves when I:

1. Press pause and step away from the controls - (Does my aircraft hover in the air until I un-pause, or does it disappear, etc.?)
2. Land, park, and log out - (by default I return to my point of origin the next time I log in, but I wonder if I've left a model of an aircraft in somebody else's parking space).
3. Accelerate time to get to the most interesting part of a long flight - (I still see other flights, but wonder if I'm flying at supersonic speed or removed from other simulations?)

I have only been successful flying the Diamond Twin star (a low wing turbo prop), which makes me a potential obstacle to jet aircraft as I utilize the longer runways of major airports to accommodate my limited landing skills. (Even though its a sim, I don't like to crash).

I enjoy flying in a virtual world with others, but don't want to inadvertently undermine the quality of someone else's simulation. Some rules of etiquette (with clarifying explanations) would be a real gift to me. Thank you for any help you may be able to offer, and thank you in advance for your patience if you encounter me in flight. -FG618
phineaspgage

Re: Multiplayer etiquette and effects on others  

Postby daweed » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:13 pm

phineaspgage wrote in Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:59 pm:I 1. Press pause and step away from the controls - (Does my aircraft hover in the air until I un-pause, or does it disappear, etc.?)

Pausing the simulator you disappear from the MP, as soon as you unpause, you are back to be seen in the sim

phineaspgage wrote in Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:59 pm:I2. Land, park, and log out - (by default I return to my point of origin the next time I log in, but I wonder if I've left a model of an aircraft in somebody else's parking space).

By disconnecting from the MP you disappear, so you no longer occupy any parking space in the MP space, ditto when you leave the simulator

phineaspgage wrote in Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:59 pm:3. Accelerate time to get to the most interesting part of a long flight - (I still see other flights, but wonder if I'm flying at supersonic speed or removed from other simulations?)

as long as you are connected you are visible by other MPs, even if you are in hyper speed, ... it happens sometimes to see a cesna pass at the speed of a concorde ....
Windows 10 / Linux Mint 20
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X |32 Go RAM GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 Go
FG Interface
Lyon Saint Exupery Scenery

ATC on LFLL on Friday 19:00 UTC => 22:00 UTC
daweed

Callsign: daweed

Postby Isaak » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:21 pm

Daweed caught me in speed. I have some additional answers to your question about how to behalve.

In principle, the mp environment is totally free, so you can do whatever you want. There is no police or the like. It is however considered good practice to not intervene in locations where an event (like ATC controlling an airport) is happening unless you participate. It is not forbidden though as nobody owns a part of the world in our multiplayer environment. People have the option to ignore other pilots, you can do this by pressing the corresponding button in the Multiplayer pilot list which you can show via Multiplayer > pilot list. Happy flying!
Last edited by Isaak on Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Postby V12 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:32 pm

One good advice - please do not start MP session on the runway and do not use accelerated time. I hate when with Concorde flying M2 and 172p overtake me :)
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby phineaspgage » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:41 pm

One further question:

Why/how is it that some airports have multiple aircraft lined up at the gates, but activity level suggest that these are not active online users (maybe I just don't watch them long enough to see what they do?).
phineaspgage

Postby Isaak » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:40 pm

That could be two things: either you have AI traffic enabled (see the AI menu) or there are static aircraft parked at the gate, these are hard coded like the buildings and will never move :)
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Postby drR0ckso » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:07 am

V12 wrote in Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:32 pm:One good advice - please do not start MP session on the runway and do not use accelerated time. I hate when with Concorde flying M2 and 172p overtake me :)

I may be misremembering but If I recall correctly the maximum object speed on the MPServer network is 2000 kts at a time speed of 1.0. Anything above that and the FGTracker throws out the information. Conveniently close to the upper limits of one of the SR-71 models.
I speak only for myself.
drR0ckso

Postby tdammers » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:32 pm

General rules of thumb:

- Don't spawn on a runway or taxiway. Either start up at a parking position, or, if that isn't possible, spawn somewhere convenient but leave MP disconnected, taxi to a parking position, then connect to MP. Spawning or connecting in-air may be OK if there's nobody nearby.
- Don't pause or change time acceleration settings. If you do, your aircraft will move at unrealistic speeds, and other pilots and ATC cannot anticipate.
- Don't run replays while on MP (there's a setting to disable MP while playing back a recorded flight - enable that!)
- When near a controlled airport, or contacted by a controller, follow their advice, or fly elsewhere.
- When maneuvering around a busy airfield, announce your intentions.
- Use "real weather", especially when flying in controlled airspace, so that your altitude readouts and wind conditions match those of everyone else.
- When flying in controlled airspace, don't "wing it" when asked to fly maneuvers you aren't comfortable with - instead, advise and ask for simpler instructions (e.g., when asked to fly a STAR, you might reply "unable, no SID/STAR data, request vectors to final"). Even better, advise on first contact.
- In general, try not to disturb ongoing events.
tdammers

Callsign: NL256
IRC name: nl256

Postby phineaspgage » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:13 am

Okay, so its been five years, but it is never too late to say "thank you" to those who offered advice.
phineaspgage

Return to Multiplayer