Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

Any way to choose to use tracker servers only?

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Any way to choose to use tracker servers only?

Postby KB7 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:30 pm

Subject kind of says it all. Whenever I connect to multiplayer I'm offered a list of servers that lately never includes any servers that are covered by the fg tracker. I noodled around with the multiplayer.xml file (adding some of the tracked servers that aren't in the static list), but that only made it so that the connect button does nothing. I am on 2017.3.1 because both of the 2018's are buggy for me.
KB7

Callsign: KB7
Version: 2017.3.1

Re: Any way to choose to use tracker servers only?

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:38 am

have you tried 2018.2.3? i think it is out now... if not, it should be in a few days... otherwise, 2018.2.2 is available... aside from that, i can't tell which "both of the 2018's are buggy for" you...

however, i'm not sure about the MP servers but they are supposed to be working like the scenery servers... there should be a lookup performed and the servers that respond should be those listed with the closest one to you being listed first... it may be that this feature is still a WIP but my understanding is that this is the way listing the MP servers should go...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby KB7 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:26 pm

Sorry - I'm not at home right now but I believe I had tried a 2018.1.x and then 2018.2.x. Different issues in both releases. All I was pointing out is that I was not on the most current version in case it was an issue addressed already.

I do like the automatic selection presentation. I assumed that it was to achieve some kind of load balancing so that everyone doesn't dogpile onto 1 or whatever.... But it would be very nice if there was an option to limit the list to only those that are being actively tracked or ensure that there is at least one tracked server offered in any given pull.
KB7

Callsign: KB7
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:02 am

there is no data indicating which servers are tracked or not... that may be added, somehow, in the future but it simply is not available at this time...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby drR0ckso » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:11 am

https://fgtracker.ml/mpserverstatus2/

Old version:
https://fgtracker.ml/mpserverstatus/

And that block on the lower left: https://fgtracker.ml/modules/fgtracker/

The actual logic that goes into whether a server is displayed or not is wired into the DNS records. The software looks for a TXT record that provides similar text to the DNS record, and if it's reachable, adds it to the list of available servers.
I speak only for myself.
drR0ckso

Postby drR0ckso » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:18 am

As of about two days ago, the records for clan.ml and mpserver15 matched, so most of the servers are now tracked.
I speak only for myself.
drR0ckso

Postby drR0ckso » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:50 am

We have at present eight (8) tracked mpservers. At this point, one should allow Flightgear to select the nearest server rather than set a specific server so the load on mpserver01 and mpserver15 is appropriately distributed around the Earth.

Present:
North America (2) [USA]
Europe (5) [UK, FR, DE]
Asia (2), [HK,SG]

Continents left to conquer:

Africa
Antartica
Australia (likely adequately served by nearby Asian servers)
South America
I speak only for myself.
drR0ckso

Return to Multiplayer