Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

Aircraft models in multiplayer missing???

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Aircraft models in multiplayer missing???

Postby Dark Lord » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:37 pm

Hi
My problem is that i cannot see multiplayer aircraft models. I only see something like small glider or i dont see anything on placa where multiplayer aircraft is on map.
I hope you can help me.
Thanks,
Dark Lord
Dark Lord

Re: Aircraft models in multiplayer missing???

Postby RJ5576 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:46 pm

If other people are flying aircraft which you haven't installed, they will show up as yellow and blue gliders.
RJ5576

Callsign: RJ5576
Version: 2018.1.1

Postby RJ5576 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:21 am

Apparently, even if you have the aircraft installed, they show up as yellow and blue gliders. This is a problem.
RJ5576

Postby jomo » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:17 am

RJ5576 wrote in Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:21 am:Apparently, even if you have the aircraft installed, they show up as yellow and blue gliders.

Generally spoken that is not true! See e.g. pictures or films of events (e.g. http://www.emmerich-j.de/EDDF/Films/films.html) - and you see many models.
But watch that that you really have THAT UNIQUE model installed, that you are looking for. Some models are designed by different design-groups with the same model-name. Pls test different models and tell us what models you cannot see! If that are all models check if your model directory is the one defined in your FGFS_Setup! (See e.g. http://www.emmerich-j.de/HB/EN/Install.html)
If the problems continue - try to be more specific!
jomo / ATCjomo + EDDFjo + EDDFjo1 + EDDFjo2
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Callsign: jomo EDDFjo1+2

Postby RJ5576 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:03 am

I mostly install aircraft from the launcher. In the past, I have seen aircraft in multiplayer which I have installed, but they still showed up as gliders.
RJ5576

Postby jomo » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:34 am

RJ5576 wrote in Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:03 am:In the past, I have seen aircraft in multiplayer which I have installed, but they still showed up as gliders.

Pls understand: We cannot help if you cannot become more specific.

Right now it seems you accept that the problem is only with some unique models. So you have to define which models you speak about (there are over 1000 models it could be!).

Best you ask the pilot of the "BlueYellow" where he/she got it from - and then download it from there!
jomo / ATCjomo + EDDFjo + EDDFjo1 + EDDFjo2
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Callsign: jomo EDDFjo1+2

Postby tdammers » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:36 pm

One possible explanation is that the launcher will always look in ~/.fgfs/Aircraft, but the simulation itself will only look in the directories configured in FlightGear.ini. Because the launcher passes the selected aircraft by its absolute path, that one will always be found, but for MP aircraft, this isn't possible for obvious reasons, so the MP protocol only transmits a path-agnostic aircraft model. Long story short, you need to add all the locations where you have aircraft to aircraft-path (the root directories, that is - no need to list each hangar under ~/.fgfs/Aircraft individually).

Another thing you may be missing is enabling AI aircraft models (--enable-ai-models); this doesn't activate AI traffic, but it is required to be able to see both MP and AI aircraft models.

Finally, note that it is not enough to have a similar aircraft installed; the model name has to match exactly. This is not necessarily the same as the directory name or the name of the -set.xml file, but rather it is the name of the model file. So A320-111, A320, A320-222, are all different models, and you need to have one installed whose name matches exactly. It's even case sensitive; e.g., the Twin Otter's directory and main XML file use dhc6 (dhc-set.xml), but the model uses uppercase (DHC6.xml / DHC6F.xml / ...). So this is what @jomo is referring to when he says that "the same model from a different author will not work" - it will, but only if the model name matches exactly, which is not usually the case.
tdammers

Callsign: NL256
IRC name: nl256

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:39 am

tdammers wrote in Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:36 pm:One possible explanation is that the launcher will always look in ~/.fgfs/Aircraft, but the simulation itself will only look in the directories configured in FlightGear.ini.

this is a possible explanation but it is not correct... james worked hard to get the launcher to look in the same places as the sim and to look in the same order...

tdammers wrote in Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:36 pm:you need to add all the locations where you have aircraft to aircraft-path (the root directories, that is - no need to list each hangar under ~/.fgfs/Aircraft individually).

exactly and i think that's where many folks mess things up... they list each craft instead of the base directory the craft is in... example...

~/myflightgear
~/myflightgear/Aircraft
~/myflightgear/Aircraft/c172p
~/myflightgear/Aircraft/myowncraft

to have this 2nd c172p and the myowncraft listed in the launcher (and in the sim when that option returns) you would list /home/$user/myflightgear/Aircraft in the fg-aircraft directory list... then any and all craft placed in ~/myflightgear/Aircraft will be listed... if they have a proper -set.xml file, of course...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby AAL545 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:00 pm

(--enable-ai-models)

My issue is not seeing my landing gear and wrong livery in the films. Jomo has downloaded the same aircraft and model as I have but still the same issue.
There is a lengthy topic regarding this and that it could be an MP protocol change that was made and not being corrected because obviously it's not just me.
So adding this " (--enable-ai-models)" to Additional settings/ command line arguments could correct this???? I guess it's worth a try!
I realize this can't correct a code that needs to be updated/ fixed.

AAL4955
AAL545

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:20 pm

if you're seeing your craft, the above will certainly not do anything for you... again the problem is within the craft you are flying and is likely to be two properties (you've mentioned two things not working over MP) which are being defaulted to ON when they should be defaulted to OFF and their logic changed to fit... remember that jomo is using openradar which, IIRC, doesn't yet support the newer MP protocol... you might be able to get an aircraft dev to fix the craft so this works properly but there may still be problems if those properties are truncated off the end of the MP packet because it is too long...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby AAL545 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:04 am

if you're seeing your craft, the above will certainly not do anything for you... again the problem is within the craft you are flying and is likely to be two properties

Seems we have this topic going in two separate places.
Yes I see my craft, that has never been an issue.
Regarding MP version, when I was parked at EDDF and on MP version 1 Jomo saw my craft but missing gear and wrong livery,
when I switched to MP version 2 he didn't see me.
I also notice something strange when in the EDDF radar zone, on the MP pilot list it shows a version, Jomo's version switches back and forth between 1 and 2.
I mentioned this to him but he's not sure what I'm talking about, now he will never see that just as I never see mine, you only see other pilots and their info, call sign, alt, etc, etc
Not sure if this is an issue or not?

Linux Mint 18.3
Cinnamon Ver 3.6.7
Linux Kernel 4.10.0-38
Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti

FG 2018.2.1
Simgear 2018.2.1
OpenSceneGraph 3.2.1
Build Id: none
Build Number: 0
Revision: none

AAL4955
AAL545

Postby PINTO » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:54 am

One other thought I had - what mp server are you using?
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby AAL545 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:00 am

One other thought I had - what mp server are you using?

Server 01 is too busy and I'm sure I have tried server 03, but the recommendation is to use the closest server to you which would be 16 (Texas)

AAL4955
AAL545

Postby PINTO » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:09 am

Server 16 uses an old fgms version, so it may not support the new packet handling.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:01 am

AAL545 wrote in Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:04 am:
if you're seeing your craft, the above will certainly not do anything for you... again the problem is within the craft you are flying and is likely to be two properties

Seems we have this topic going in two separate places.

you did it when you posted in here about it... i'm done with it, either way...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Next

Return to Multiplayer