Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

Using add-ons to direct to additional Aircraft folder

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Using add-ons to direct to additional Aircraft folder

Postby KeithHadden » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:35 pm

Using Qt-launcher in version 2016.3.1 I added a location to a directory where I keep my downloaded aircraft. This is on a different HDD to the SSD where Flightgear is installed. I also point TerraSync to a different HDD.

On launching the sim there is no problem and all is well, except I am unable to change livery. The following error is displayed in the terminal.

directory(): listing '/mnt/FlightGear/Aircraft/737-300/Models/Liveries/' denied (unauthorized directory - authorization no longer follows symlinks; to authorize reading additional directories, add them to --fg-aircraft)

Also, and more frustrating, is that when I am in multiplayer mode all aircraft different to the one I have loaded are seen as the "nerf glider." If I store all the aircraft in the default aircraft directory the aircraft are now visible correctly. I am still unable to change livery.

Also the sim does not load with multiplayer enabled, but this is a minor inconvenience.

I do not want to hold my aircraft in the default directory as this is using up SSD space.
CHT0019
Public Relations and Events - CharterVA
"Any plane, Any route, anytime"
KeithHadden

Callsign: keith
Version: V2019.1.1

Re: Using add-ons to direct to additional Aircraft folder

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:10 pm

you don't have to move or add anything to the default directory... follow the instructions and add your directory to your --fg-aircraft option... in the --launcher, that's on the Addons tab... the --fg-aircraft option is the box at the bottom... click the "+" and select your "/mnt/FlightGear/Aircraft" directory... poof, problem solved... all craft in that directory will be available... unless i'm misunderstanding the report (which is purely security oriented), i don't think you'll have to add that actual liveries directory... only the Aircraft one...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby KeithHadden » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:14 am

I have done that, and it works fine for the aircraft I am loading with BUT when in multiplayer the other mp users aircraft appear as gliders.
CHT0019
KeithHadden

Postby PINTO » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:46 am

Sounds like your aircraft directories aren't configured properly, for whatever reason. Maybe try your other hard drive?
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:45 am

are you sure you have the craft they are flying in your specified Aircraft directory? i have several aircraft directories specified over here and they all seem to work just fine... i don't do multiplayer but the one time that i did (during development of the c172p-detailed) it was in one of those directories and worked ok...

i see you are in Port Elizabeth, South Africa... i have all the craft from the official FGAddon hanger... we can try to test together some time but i'm on the east coast of the US... been up too late a few nights and this is another one :?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby KeithHadden » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:17 am

I have the aircraft. When I copy the aircraft files into the root dir they are visible. I believe the problem has arisen with the release of fg 2016.3.1. Prior to that everything was working.
CHT0019
KeithHadden

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:47 pm

i don't know... having additional craft in other directories has been working fine over here since 3.4 and into the 2016 series that started at the first of the year when 3.6 was changed or held... they're still working up through 2016.4.0 which is the "next" being worked on now...

what is your --fg-aircraft setting?
what actual directories on your HD are you trying to use?
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby KeithHadden » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:26 pm

I discovered that I had a subdirectory under the mnt/Flightgear/Aircraft with the name Aircraft (ie mnt/Flightgear/Aircraft/Aircraft) which was empty. Deleting that subdirectory solved all the problems.
CHT0019
KeithHadden

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:30 pm

ahhhh... yeah, that might do it... i wonder if it would be worth it to have the code stop at the first Aircraft directory it finds in each specified --fg-aircraft path??
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Return to Multiplayer