Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

mpcarrier in 3.7

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

mpcarrier in 3.7

Postby someguy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:01 am

The 3.7 release of a day or two ago is having big problems finding mpcarriers. It only seems to work after spawning on the AI carrier, and only then after approaching within 3-5 miles of the mp ship. By 'work' I mean offering the popup dialog to select a carrier, rather than an error that no carrier was found with range. Yes, Nimitz is selected in the AI scenario list. Yes, it worked last week. The carrier appears normally in the mp pilot list, and shows up on panel radar as appropriate.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Re: mpcarrier in 3.7

Postby AndersG » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:28 pm

The system detects MPCarrier players via Nasal code in the MPCarrier model. If this model is not instantiated until you are very close to the player in question you will not be able to select the player further away. Add the new #pixels on screen LOD mechanism and initialization may happen very late - the MPCarrier player uses null.ac as his/her 3d model.
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby someguy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:43 pm

Anders, I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that mpcarrier is essentially hopeless under 3.7? I have LOD set to use 10,000 meters, not pixels; should I increase that to 100,000?
someguy

Postby AndersG » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:57 pm

someguy wrote in Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:43 pm:Anders, I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that mpcarrier is essentially hopeless under 3.7? I have LOD set to use 10,000 meters, not pixels; should I increase that to 100,000?

No, but I guess the mechanism needs to be changed by either adding a timer that loops over all MP aircraft every now and then to find new MPCarriers or by adding a listener to the "new MP model" signal (I don't remember what it is called) to do the same.

Another alternative to try is replacing null.ac with another invisible model with a very large bounding box to fool FG/OSG that it is indeed visible from afar.
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby MIG29pilot » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:04 pm

MPcarrier works for me
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby PINTO » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:54 pm

It doesn't work for a lot of people until you're 3nm - 5nm distant. It's usually a nightly struggle to get people around KSFO to all see the same MPcarrier (Vinson seems to be worse for this vs. the Nimitz, but that's anecdotal - haven't tried the Eisenhower or the Clemenceau MPcarriers).

A workaround that sometimes works for me is to go into model view, and select the carrier, and wait for the model to load. Veeery occasionally. After doing this I can select it from ~50nm out.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby someguy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:01 pm

PINTO wrote in Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:54 pm:A workaround that sometimes works for me is to go into model view, and select the carrier, and wait for the model to load. Veeery occasionally. After doing this I can select it from ~50nm out.

That's a good tip. How do I select the carrier in model view? I know how to enable model view in the View Options screen, but I can't find anything in the help, docs, or wiki about selecting which model to view.
someguy

Postby MIG29pilot » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:07 pm

In model view, in the lower left corner, there is An mp callsign, with two arrows on each side. Click those arrows to switch between models.
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby AndersG » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:29 pm

I think it may all be about getting the null.ac object within the view. If you use model view to view the carrier player (you won't see anything until it has activated and you have selected that player) and look around from most directions you might have a good chance of succeeding with that. I don't remember if there is a height offset.
AndersG

Postby PINTO » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:58 am

AndersG wrote:No, but I guess the mechanism needs to be changed by either adding a timer that loops over all MP aircraft every now and then to find new MPCarriers or by adding a listener to the "new MP model" signal (I don't remember what it is called) to do the same.

This is probably my lack of experience with the property tree or FG's internals, but I don't see anywhere to activate a carrier in there. If someone pointed that out to me, a nasal script would be the work of a couple minutes to do.

Anyone have any ideas? Or is this not exposed to the property tree/nasal?
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Postby someguy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:22 am

The odd thing is that it worked pretty well last week, before I downloaded a new nightly full package. Terrasync used to work, too, but now is broken.

Ah, the joys of development versions... :)
someguy

Postby PINTO » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:10 am

I found the "find carriers" piece of nasal code in MPCarriers.nas, and it uses a MPCarriersNW.Manager_instances. I can't find the MPCarriers.NW to see how that's working, but I'm thinking about modifying the code right there to just iterate through multiplayer planes and looks for "mp-vinson" or "mp-nimitz", etc.

PINTO

Postby AndersG » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:27 am

Can you try a bit more with the model view "method"? It might be a useful work-around.
I'm inclined to rather try to make null.ac more "visible" before changing other parts of the code (most of which I wrote some years ago).
IIRC the MPCarrierNW module contains the core parts so you need to find that file, it is most likely in MPCarrier/Systems or /Nasal.
AndersG

Postby PINTO » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:59 pm

I took a peak at the null.ac object, and it's currently literally empty. There's nothing there. I'll try to make it into a huge transparent empty box, and hopefully that helps.

In the meantime, if you know the callsign of the carrier, and said carrier is the Nimitz, you can add a /sim/mp-carriers/nimitz-callsign={callsign} to your startup properties and it'll autoselect the carrier when you get close enough.

EDIT:
Just confirmed:
For the Vinson, use /sim/mp-carriers/vinson-callsign={callsign}
For the Eisenhower, use /sim/mp-carriers/eisenhower-callsign={callsign}
For the Clemenceau, use /sim/mp-carriers/clemenceau-callsign={callsign}

I get the carriers sooner and more consistently when I use this method. The callsigns I use when I run an MPCarrier are NIMITZ, VINSON, EISENHO, and CLEMENC. I've also seen a Vinson being run under USS_FB.

PINTO

Postby someguy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:43 am

Just a note. Increasing the LOD to 20,000 m helped. Probably not a good idea for those who are short on RAM.
someguy

Return to Multiplayer