Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

So,. multiplayer is not for me...

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

So,. multiplayer is not for me...

Postby Ovazor » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:51 pm

Sigh...every time I have tried to fly with multiplayer mode active. Every attempt ended when the FlightGear crashed in approximately same location near EFTP. The strange thing is that I have flown this same route with the same aircraft more than once previously and experienced no problems. Is it likely that enabling the multiplayer makes the program less stable?

I am using FlightGear 2.12.0 in Fedora 20, started with FGRun.

The log shows nothing special (just a bunch of Error in ground network. Failed to find first waypoint: 0 at xxxx.
Flying the Dakota
Ovazor

Callsign: OH-OVA
Version: 2020.4.0

Re: So,. multiplayer is not for me...

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:59 pm

mmhm!
OVAZOR, that is quite unfortunate problem.
For the description of your error I am assuming you have a problem with a nearby groundnet.

1. Are you using terrasync or an installed scenery?
2. Have you tried completing a multiplayer route in an unrelated area? does it still crash?
3. What MPSERVER are you using?

I experienced a similar problem of FG crashing on KSFO, when close to RWY 28L, but it will not happen anywhere else. So I always assumed it was a problem of the scenery and the limitations of my graphics card, not a multiplayer server issue.

Best,
IAHMCOL
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby Ovazor » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:21 pm

1. No, Terrasync does not work because of this issue, so I am not using it. It did work earlier on FlightGear 2.8, but not since I upgraded to 2.12.

2. The first time I tried multiplayer was a few weeks ago, and the location was completely different (IIRC I was flying from Santiago de Compostela to Faro, when FlightGear crashed near Coimbra). I thought then that it was just a fluke. But that makes still it 4 out of 4 attempts.

3. The three last times mpserver12, the first I don't remember,

Incidentally, I was flying a DC-3 in all attempts, but that should not be an issue as I have been flying a kind of European tour (not connected), and while the program has crashed two or three times, it usually it works just and I have been able to finish 3+ hour flights, including visiting such developed airports as LOWI or EDDS. The scenery has been the same since Terrasync has not been on. The scenery is not the new 2.0.

I do not think that the groundnet errors have much to do with it, since they are completely routine; I see them every time.

It may be that the problem has nothing to do with multiplayer, but as far as I can tell that is the only thing that is different. I flew the same EFKU-EFMA route last weekend unconnected, with the same settings, and encountered no problems.

Well, maybe I try some other route, let's see what happens.
Flying the Dakota
Ovazor

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:26 pm

oh ok. I am afraid you tested everything that comes to my mind, so I cant be of further help.
Let's hope someone else with more technical knowledge can help.
best of luck
IAHMCOL
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby Ovazor » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:27 pm

Thanks!
Flying the Dakota
Ovazor

Postby Ovazor » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:19 pm

A simple EFKU-EFVR -jump went without a hitch, so it may not be multiplayer problem after all.
Flying the Dakota
Ovazor

Return to Multiplayer