Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

OpenRadar crashing FlightGear 2.4?

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

OpenRadar crashing FlightGear 2.4?

Postby Johan G » Sun May 05, 2013 9:18 pm

I'm using FlightGear 2.4 on a Windows 7 computer, and after some testing this seems to happen with all aircraft (so far tested with Cessna 17P Skyhawk, Dassault Mirage F1 and Grumman F-14 Tomcat). Unfortunately I do not know which version of OpenRadar that causes this to happen.

At first I thought it was some new TerraSync scenery around KSFO, when too close (e.g. at KHAF, Half Moon Bay). I could not start FlightGear, but as soon as got I passed the splash screen FlightGear crashed, every single time. Setting debug to highest level made restarting take more that half an hour, and the debug output didn't reveal anything that looked abnormal. A few days later, after syncing that scenery the problem was gone, or so I thought.

A few days ago I had a FlightGear crash when flying towards Marseille Provence Airport (LFML) and an OpenRadar client there (I assume it was manned by lenny64, with callsign LFML_tw) and noticed that it happened more or less exactly at 100 nautical miles distance, in essence when that client would have appeared on the pilot list, so I made a series of test flights towards LFML from various airports just to make sure it was consistent, which is unfortunately was (See blow map). :(

To sum it up: For now an area within a 100 NM radius from an OpenRadar client is a no fly zone to me. :(

OpenRadar area denial problem by Johan G, on Flickr

EDIT: Grammar and spelling.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Re: OpenRadar crashing FlightGear 2.4?

Postby wagnerw » Mon May 06, 2013 6:49 am

Dear Johan,

You report is the second I have got, but the other guy did not want to have it analyzed.

What you describe seems to be consistent: The (about) 100NM range is the range in which MP protocol packages are forwarded to other contacts. So within you receive OR packages, outside you don't...

My blind guess is that there is a MP protocol incompatibility between OR and FG 2.4. Do you have more information, like an error page popping up in the background? (try to start in in a command window!)
I know, that the MP protocol has been changed at least another time. OR is compatible to all more recent versions (as much as I know).

Most important question: Is version 2.4 so important to start the process of searching for the reason, or is it easier to upgrade FG?

Wolfram
wagnerw

Callsign: D-W794

Postby lenny64600 » Mon May 06, 2013 8:35 am

Hello Johan,

I'm very afraid and sorry about this thing happening to you.
I will give here as much information as I can in order to help everybody to solve this problem. I am using OpenRadar released on April the 7th. It has been optimized for LFML (SIDs/STARs procedures, parking slots ...) but I don't think that may cause problem to you.

Have you tried to download the latest version of Flightgear (v2.10) ?
In order to get sure of what is going wrong there, I would recommend, as Wolfram said, to start FG via a command line window (cmd).

Just for my own curiosity, does this happen in other Openradar areas (such as Jomo's [EDDF] , or Christian's [EGKK] areas) ? I'm on vacation right now, but when I'll get back (on Saturday), if you want you could try to :
- Deactivate multiplayer
- Go to an airport in the LFML area
- Activate multiplayer and see what happens...
This will show us if it is an "entering area" problem or not (but as far as I read you, it seems to happen all the time, even when you spot in an OpenRadar area)

I don't know whether it will help spotting this issue's origin.

(If you want to test in another Openradar controlled area, I think there is a session at EDDP tomorrow. It has been created on http://lenny64.free.fr)

Hope to fix this bug and see you in the LFML area soon...

Ha en bra dag, och hejdå !

Thibault
*NEW : New website to follow ATC sessions : http://flightgear-atc.alwaysdata.net
Follow us on Twitter
@Flightgear_ATC
lenny64600

Callsign: LFOK_TW, F-LENNY

Postby Johan G » Mon May 06, 2013 2:56 pm

I will have a better look on this in a few days.

lenny64600 wrote in Mon May 06, 2013 8:35 am:...if you want you could try to :
- Deactivate multiplayer
- Go to an airport in the LFML area
- Activate multiplayer and see what happens...
This will show us if it is an "entering area" problem or not.

That sounds like a good idea. That way I could launch FlightGear and then go into multiplayer, so I can see what happens at the point it starts to load the other models etc. The problem I had with running at the highest debug level was that I FlightGear that the console spews out more than I can read at times while still not showing anything that seemed out of the ordinary, and that FlightGear got excessively slow to start up (about 30-45 min instead of 3-10 min) and seemed slow after that, so flying into the area was probably not possible.

lenny64600 wrote in Mon May 06, 2013 8:35 am:Ha en bra dag, och hejdå !

Tack detsamma. :D
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Johan G

Postby lenny64600 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:53 pm

Okay Johan,

I don't really know what is happening here. When you say it takes 3 min for Flightgear to start, it scares me a bit.
What is the quality level you choose into the "Rendering options" menu ? What is your system configuration ? (CPU / RAM / graphic card)

I wouldn't have any recommendation for this kind of problem, as I am unfortunately not skilled enough to handle this problem. But I do think the more info we have, the better is :-)

Oh and BTW if you manage entering into LFML area, just say "god morgon" or "god dag" ; I will try to understand your Swedish :-)

Bye !
*NEW : New website to follow ATC sessions : http://flightgear-atc.alwaysdata.net
Follow us on Twitter
@Flightgear_ATC
lenny64600

Callsign: LFOK_TW, F-LENNY

Postby Johan G » Thu May 09, 2013 3:00 pm

lenny64600 wrote in Tue May 07, 2013 9:53 pm:When you say it takes 3 min for Flightgear to start, it scares me a bit.
What is the quality level you choose into the "Rendering options" menu ? What is your system configuration ? (CPU / RAM / graphic card)

Well, what can I say. I have what was in 2010 a high low-end laptop (the then most powerful EeePC, see my profile). It's an Intel Atom CPU at 1.6 GHz and 2 GB of RAM. I guess that what makes it possible to run FlightGear at all is the fact that it has a NVIDIA ION GPU chipset. :)

I usually run FlightGear with only static buildings and sometimes the water shader, and that's all as far as eye candy goes. Getting near KSFO a not all too busy day will drop my fps count to the lower single digit numbers. A busy day it will drop to the least displayable fps (i.e. "1"), pretty much a no go area under those circumstances. :wink:

One odd thing possibly related to my computers performance is that while on ground my aircraft usually dances around, and when I'm on a the ground before group flights (FG Flight Club, FGUK etc.) I always notice that I am the only one having that problem. If I understand things right It might be because the simulation steps might be a bit longer on on my computer. That being said, there is a few aircraft that do not have that behaviour (the Pilatus PC-9M comes to mind).
Johan G

Postby Johan G » Tue May 14, 2013 9:01 pm

I have done a few attempts today at starting FlightGear unconnected and then connect. While I do get some error messages about various unknown property ids like the one below, I did not see any error messages out of the ordinary before FlightGear crashed. I think I have seen the unknown property id messages since at least 2.6.0 was out, so the are quite "normal".

Code: Select all
FGMultiplayMgr::ProcessPosMsg - message from F-JJTH has unknown property id 1400

However I do not see any messages mentioning the callsign of the OpenRadar client, in this case LFML_AP, before FlightGear crashes, which I find odd.

The last 20 lines of the debug stream at the "debug" level looks like this:

FGMultiplayMgr::ProcessPosMsg - message from F-JJTH has unknown property id 7000

FGMultiplayMgr::ProcessPosMsg - message from F-JJTH has unknown property id 1501

FGMultiplayMgr::ProcessPosMsg - message from F-JJTH has unknown property id 0
FGMultiplayMgr::ProcessPosMsg - message from F-JJTH has unknown property id 1400

FGMultiplayMgr::ProcessPosMsg - message from F-JJTH has unknown property id 1500

FGMultiplayMgr::ProcessPosMsg - message from F-JJTH has unknown property id 7000

FGMultiplayMgr::ProcessPosMsg - message from F-JJTH has unknown property id 1501

FGMultiplayMgr::MP_ProcessData: No such file or directory
AICarrier: Inside Operating Box
Multiplayer vehicle interpolation: [2431.03, 2431.37], intervalLen = 0.333333, i
nterpolation parameter = 0.95
Multiplayer position and orientation: [ 4.62006e+006, 422120, 4.36228e+006 ], [
-0.00666184, 0.000252709, 0.717867, 0.696148 ]

I have also run FlightGear in with the "bulk" level debug output. And I get the same thing here: the OpenRadar client is not mentioned at all, and the debug stream (the last 9000 lines, or about 8 runs of the main loop) does not give any clue as to what went wrong. I'm stumped. :(

A few notes (please note that I am running an old FlightGear version, 2.4.0):
  • The main loop (unconnected) debug output at "debug" level is roughly 1000 lines long, of which the bulk seems to be related to the USS Nimitz TACAN even though I have made sure I click "Deselect all" before I run FlightGear.
  • It seems that during the startup FlightGear loads or at least parses AI traffic for the entire world.
  • Strangely enough the debug stream shows a huge amount of duplicate errors mentioning unknown property ids in every frame (about 20-50 of each, I have not counted them). I was a bit surprised to see each error more than once per client and run of the main loop.
Johan G

Postby F-JJTH » Wed May 15, 2013 2:27 pm

Hi JohanG,

This message is normal in debug mode. ID 1400, 1500, 1501 and 1502 are new to FlightGear (1400 added 11/01/2011 and 150* added 05/10/2013)
ID 1400 is related to scenery event, and 150* are related to the transponder.

Cheers,
Clément
F-JJTH

Return to Multiplayer