Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

PLEASE HELP! Reduce upload/download rate

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

PLEASE HELP! Reduce upload/download rate

Postby omega95 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:55 pm

I've noticed in the past few months (where I started flying really long flights) that my internet bill have becomes 9x the original! I am a frequent long haul flyer over multiplayer (VA flying) and most of those flights are alone so I don't it's that important to send my data to the server every millisecond! I still need my flights tracked though. Can anyone tell me which file I need to edit and what I need to do to it so I can increase the time interval between which FlightGear uploads/downloads multiplayer data? My father has scolded me a lot because of this and I don't want this to happen again. If I'm going for an event or something, I could just revert this change right? And we've changed our internet plan for next month to make it unlimited, but atleast till then? This month, I've already exceeded the limit and there's so much in upload usage. I've not done much other than use the internet for my studies and flightgear. Please help me! :(
Merlion Virtual Airlines - the experience of a flight time...
Get high quality aircraft, airports, video tutorials or development tools from my hangar.
omega95

Callsign: MIA0001, OM-EGA
IRC name: omega95
Version: 2.12 git

Re: PLEASE HELP! Reduce upload/download rate

Postby truthsolo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:40 pm

Going out on a limb here, but have you tried changing this line in fgdata/preferences.xml?

Code: Select all
<transmission-freq-hz type="string">118500000</transmission-freq-hz>

I believe lowering this would help you—or completely bork you.. can't hurt to try though! Maybe you can see the difference on MP map after you change it..
Rob — IRC: truthsolo — I run mpserver16.flightgear.org (Kansas City, MO) — MP Server Status
Good hunting!
truthsolo

Callsign: C-FBAR, Snapper
IRC name: truthsolo
Version: git

Postby AndersG » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:10 am

You can reduce the rate you send MP packets, just change the standard 10 to some thing smaller in the --multiplay=out,... part of the command line:
Code: Select all
--multiplay=out,10,mpserver08.flightgear.org,5000

However, as far as I know there is nothing you can do to make the MP server send less data to you (except staying well away from other players).

/Anders
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby omega95 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:40 am

AndersG wrote in Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:10 am:You can reduce the rate you send MP packets, just change the standard 10 to some thing smaller in the --multiplay=out,... part of the command line:

Thanks a lot, I think I'll set it to 1 for now :D

AndersG wrote in Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:10 am:However, as far as I know there is nothing you can do to make the MP server send less data to you (except staying well away from other players).

That doesn't really matter as much. Over here (unlike in US), you don't get such developed INTERNET connections. My upload cost is about 4 times higher than download! :(
Get high quality aircraft, airports, video tutorials or development tools from my hangar.
omega95

Postby AndersG » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:49 pm

omega95 wrote in Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:40 am:Thanks a lot, I think I'll set it to 1 for now :D

Do try that, and if that works I think you could also use decimal rates, 0.5 and so on. If you set it too low the MP server will drop you between packets and the tracker would probably not record the resulting sequence of very short (one packet long!) flights.

/Anders
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby omega95 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:37 pm

Anders, are you sure that's what it does!? My usage meter shows I've uploaded MORE after I changed the out,10 to out,1 !!! :( I guess I'm not gunna play fg multiplayer for a week. Just use little till Aug 13th when I'll get unlimited internet.
omega95

Postby AndersG » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:45 pm

omega95 wrote in Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:37 pm:Anders, are you sure that's what it does!? My usage meter shows I've uploaded MORE after I changed the out,10 to out,1 !!! :( I guess I'm not gunna play fg multiplayer for a week. Just use little till Aug 13th when I'll get unlimited internet.

Interesting and strange, it should certainly reduce the rate. I'll check with tcpdump later.

/Anders
AndersG

Postby AndersG » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:34 pm

AndersG wrote in Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:45 pm:Interesting and strange, it should certainly reduce the rate. I'll check with tcpdump later.

I have checked now and "--multiplay=out,1,mpserver04.flightgear.org,5000" sends 1 packet per second on my system (FG/git). However, and this was unexpected, fractional rate values (--multiplay=out,0.1,hugin.gidenstam.org,5000) results in the default 10 packets per second, so it appears 1 packet per second is the lowest possible sending rate.

/Anders
AndersG

Return to Multiplayer