Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

METAR is not working.

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

METAR is not working.

Postby bisutti » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:55 pm

I don´t know if this is the right place to do this question.

Since a few days ago the real weather fetch stoped working, when I activate the real weather the METAR information is on blank

Some people have the same problem than I... The server is broken?
FlightGear Iberoamerican Comunity http://www.vivefg.org/
bisutti

Callsign: YV-256T
Version: 2

Re: METAR is not working.

Postby Algernon » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:12 pm

I have the same issue.
Algernon
FGUK - A FlightGear community in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland
Developer: Eurofighter EF2000 - English Electric Lightning - Handley Page Victor
Algernon

Callsign: G-ALGY
Version: 2019.1.1

Postby polly » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:28 pm

Problems with METAR have been discussed on flightgear-devel over the past couple of days. Apparently the feed servers have reduced their tolerance to badly formed requests.
polly

Postby Thorsten » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:02 am

From what I gather, the issue is that the servers no longer accept the METAR requests from Flightgear, as they are improperly formed. As far as the discussion on the mailing list went, METAR is fixed on recent GIT, but is gone for good in all previous releases, (probably) never to reappear as we can't influence the server side.

It's either upgrading to recent GIT or getting used to setting offline weather.
Thorsten

Postby Groucho » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:56 am

Thorsten wrote:It's either upgrading to recent GIT or getting used to setting offline weather.

While the latter is just a matter of time until the GIT version will lead to a new FlightGear release so propably it does not mean either one or the other for all times.
Helis: EC130, Bo105, UH-1, R22
Twins/Jets: Aerostar, CRJ-200
Groucho

Callsign: D-HARP
Version: GIT

Postby Chrison » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:16 pm

Thorsten wrote:It's either upgrading to recent GIT or getting used to setting offline weather.

Or, as Groucho said, wait for the next release. But, I'm wondering...

For various reasons, I mostly use version 1.9.1. If the issue has been fixed, would it be possible to patch 1.9.1 and recompile? Or, is the "fix" totally incompatible with how 1.9.1 is designed/programmed?

Thanks!

Regards,

Chris
"Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat!" (Jackie Gleason)
My final approach announcement: "Seats up... Trays locked... Articles stowed... Seat belts on... And may God have mercy on your souls!"
Chrison

Callsign: Chrison, AVA0066

Postby zakalawe » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:00 pm

Chrison wrote:For various reasons, I mostly use version 1.9.1. If the issue has been fixed, would it be possible to patch 1.9.1 and recompile? Or, is the "fix" totally incompatible with how 1.9.1 is designed/programmed?

The fix should be trivial to back-port to 1.9.1 - look at the commit on Gitorious, and it should be obvious. This assumes you're happy re-building a patched version of 1.9.1, of course!
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby Chrison » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:12 pm

zakalawe wrote:
Chrison wrote:For various reasons, I mostly use version 1.9.1. If the issue has been fixed, would it be possible to patch 1.9.1 and recompile? Or, is the "fix" totally incompatible with how 1.9.1 is designed/programmed?

The fix should be trivial to back-port to 1.9.1 - look at the commit on Gitorious, and it should be obvious. This assumes you're happy re-building a patched version of 1.9.1, of course!

I'm never "happy" about (re)building anything from source as, usually, it's a painful experience because I'm not all that technically competent when it comes to understanding the "wizardry" of how it all gets done. But, I would like to see if I can do this as I do mostly use 1.9.1 for a variety of reasons, and I do really like flying under real-weather conditions.

So, my next question is... Can anyone provide a link to the source code for 1.9.1? I checked SourceForge but I don't see anything there.

Thanks!

Regards,

Chris
My final approach announcement: "Seats up... Trays locked... Articles stowed... Seat belts on... And may God have mercy on your souls!"
Chrison

Postby D-TB7 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:17 am

Those weary of rebuilding flightgear may also have another option: try configuring a proxy on the fgfs command-line.
The syntax is:
--proxy=[user:pwd@]host:port
Specify which proxy server (and port) to use.
The username and password are optional and
should be MD5 encoded already. This option is
only useful when used in conjunction with the
real-weather-fetch option.

I'm not sure since I haven't tested it, but according to the code it looks as if METAR should still work if a proxy was used. The fgfs sources use a specific method to tell the proxy which website they want - and the actual site request to the METAR server at NOAA will then be generated by the proxy. And the proxy will certainly generate a perfectly valid request. So this should avoid the FG bug we're seeing now, when FG talks directly to the NOAA server.
Maybe someone running FG 2.0 (or 1.9.x) could test this option and then report back here.

cheers,
ThorstenB
D-TB7

Callsign: D-TB7
IRC name: ThorstenB

Postby Chrison » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:06 pm

D-TB7 wrote:Those weary of rebuilding flightgear may also have another option: try configuring a proxy on the fgfs command-line.
The syntax is:
--proxy=[user:pwd@]host:port

Hmmm... This kinda-sorta-doesn't work. I installed the squid proxy server on my system. When I type this:

Code: Select all
http_proxy=http://localhost:8888/ metar eddf

I get a valid response of the METAR for Frankfurt. However, when I add this:

--proxy=http://localhost:8888/

to my FG command line, real-weather fetch doesn't work.

Anyone have any ideas why this isn't working?

Thanks!

Regards,

Chris
Last edited by Chrison on Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrison

Postby Leif Ohlsson » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:33 pm

I just wanted to say I'm glad I searched for, and found, a thread like this, since I sincerely thought I had done something irretrievably bad to my installation of Flight Gear.

I value real weather very highly, and would much like to try out any solution published here for version 2.0.

Thanks in advance for the work undertaken.

Leif
Leif Ohlsson

Callsign: SE-LOH
Version: 2

Postby D-TB7 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:15 pm

Chrison wrote:I'd be glad to test this if I had a proxy to talk through. If someone can send PM me the info for a proxy I'll test it. Or, how does one setup a proxy oneself?

Just try google for "proxy". For example, here's a site with a list of sites - which provide lists of proxies...
http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/ ... oxy_Lists/

I had another look at the code, still no guarantees, but I'm almost certain now that using a proxy will avoid the problem (That is assuming the proxy feature itself has ever worked for FG...).

Those preferring and able to recompile, may apply this patch to their simgear/environment/metar.cxx:
http://www.gitorious.org/fg/simgear/com ... a3e819c0c5
Alternatively, find the line "get += path + " HTTP/1.0...." in metar.cxx and add the following line right afterwards:
get += "Host: weather.noaa.gov\015\012";

Then recompile simgear/flightgear...

cheers,
ThorstenB
D-TB7

Postby Hooray » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:50 pm

Hi

D-TB7 wrote:Those preferring and able to recompile, may apply this patch to their simgear/environment/metar.cxx:
http://www.gitorious.org/fg/simgear/com ... a3e819c0c5
Alternatively, find the line "get += path + " HTTP/1.0...." in metar.cxx and add the following line right afterwards:
get += "Host: weather.noaa.gov\015\012";

Then recompile simgear/flightgear...

I guess a more flexible long-term solution would be to move the whole string into $FG_ROOT/preferences.xml and then instead just use something like:
get += fgGetString("/sim/metar/host-string","Host: weather.noaa.gov\015\012");

That would make it possible to override this easily, just by editing preferences.xml or by specifying --prop:/sim/metar/host-string="Host: weather.noaa.gov\015\012"
Might be more future proof ....
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby D-TB7 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:18 pm

Hooray wrote:Hi
I guess a more flexible long-term solution would be to move the whole string into $FG_ROOT/preferences.xml and then instead just use something like:
get += fgGetString("/sim/metar/host-string","Host: weather.noaa.gov\015\012");

That would make it possible to override this easily, just by editing preferences.xml or by specifying --prop:/sim/metar/host-string="Host: weather.noaa.gov\015\012"
Might be more future proof ....

Yes and no. Yes, it'd be possible to move the server address to an external file. But the problem was that FG itself built incomplete requests violating the HTTP protocol. Just changing the server address hadn't helped - the requests would still be invalid.
And the server address has never even changed at all. It the same server address now as 5 years ago. Using a web browser (which certainly builds valid HTTP requests) you wouldn't even have noticed anything of the server upgrade at NOAA.
Another issue is that just moving the server address to an external file isn't enough. There is also code to determine the exact web-page with the METAR for a specific airport. Also reading and parsing the server's response must be adapted to the specific service provider. All this isn't easily moved to an external description file. So, just changing a server address wouldn't help - and wasn't the issue here.

cheers,
ThorstenB
D-TB7

Postby Chrison » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:37 pm

I inadvertantly edited my earlier post instead of adding a new one. :oops: :cry: Please read above that my attempt at going through a proxy server worked when using the metar program bundled with FG, but not using the "--proxy" command line parameter. Anyone know why that is???

Thanks!

Regards,

Chris
Chrison

Next

Return to Multiplayer