Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

mpserver16 is heading for the boneyard

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

mpserver16 is heading for the boneyard

Postby truthsolo » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:05 pm

I've been running mpserver16 on a personal server with a 10Gbps link for 10 years, and have also been hosting a full copy of the terrain/scenery data there. Early on, I ported fgms (the multiplayer server) to BSD and ran it there, until I was too busy to keep up with that and migrated it to a Linux system. I spent countless hours working on textures for liveries and cockpit details, some 3D modeling, and even tweaking the F/A-18 FDM to try to account for everything I could find in the NATOPS flight manual and various NASA documents. Some of this made it into FG, some of it did not—it took up a lot of my time, and eventually real life took over.

Alas, I have not had time to run FG in years. The only reason I've continued to pay for the server was to keep mpserver16 and the scenery mirror alive.

In the coming weeks mpserver16 and the scenery mirror hosted there will be taken offline.

As a side-note to FG admins: it may be worth moving your DNS to Cloudflare to take advantage of proxying your scenery mirrors through their systems, enabling them to cache assets and save you a ton of bandwidth. Over the past 2 years, mpserver16 has served over 25TB of scenery data, and it has been running a lot longer than that:

Thanks for the sorties, and I wish the project continued success in the future.
Rob — IRC: truthsolo — I used to run mpserver16.flightgear.org (Kansas City, MO)
Good hunting!
truthsolo

Callsign: C-FBAR, Snapper
IRC name: truthsolo
Version: git

Re: mpserver16 is heading for the boneyard

Postby wlbragg » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:19 am

Thank you for all you have done to support FlightGear. You truly are one of the unsung heroes of the project!
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby MariuszXC » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:59 am

I am a relative newcomer, but let me add my Thank You.

Alas, I have not had time to run FG in years.

Whatever you do, remember to keep flying...
INOP
MariuszXC

Callsign: SP-MRM
Version: 2020.4

Postby Torsten » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:34 pm

Thank you for providing the service for so many years. We will definitely miss you!
Please let me know, when you finally take it down so I can remove you from the DNS settings.

FWIW, CloudFlare is not an option. Their TOS explicitly forbids usage as a distribution layer for binary assets.
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline

Postby david.megginson » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:39 pm

I pay for a server for OurAirports, and while it's not super expensive, it adds up over the years (especially if there's a lot of bandwidth). Thank you for all the time you maintained this.
David MEGGINSON (he/him)
I need more tea.
Scenery: FlightGear Americas Scenery
Fediverse: @david_megginson@mstdn.ca
david.megginson

Pronouns: he/him

Postby stuart » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:56 pm

Thanks for all your contributions Rob.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby dany93 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:20 pm

Thank you for your silent but very important contribution, Rob.

Dany
dany93

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Isaak » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:47 pm

Thank you very much for all your commitment over the past years!
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA

Postby Gijs » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:32 pm

Let me add another massive thanks to you Rob!

Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby truthsolo » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:45 pm

Torsten wrote in Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:34 pm:Please let me know, when you finally take it down so I can remove you from the DNS settings.

Will do!
Torsten wrote in Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:34 pm:FWIW, CloudFlare is not an option. Their TOS explicitly forbids usage as a distribution layer for binary assets.

That's a bummer on the free plan.. I see it now, ToS §2.8. I've been dealing with a custom Enterprise plan for too long there, which has different rules. Perhaps their R2 object storage would be beneficial, despite not being free for the dataset involved. I contemplated writing a worker to refresh all of the scenery data in R2, but again.. time. Might be a thing for some aspiring contributor :)
everyone else wrote:thanks, etc

Thanks for the thanks! I was happy to do it while I could. Much love for this project and everyone here.
Rob — IRC: truthsolo — I used to run mpserver16.flightgear.org (Kansas City, MO)
Good hunting!
truthsolo

Postby merspieler » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:31 pm

Please DO NOT use cloudflare proxy for anything. They violate your users privacy by breaking open EVERY then no longer secure SSL/TLS connection. The worst part is, the users aren't even aware of that happening so you're pushing your users into privacy invasions they aren't even aware of.
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler

Postby truthsolo » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:11 pm

truthsolo wrote in Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:05 pm:In the coming weeks mpserver16 and the scenery mirror hosted there will be taken offline.

mpserver16 is now offline.
Thanks for everything!

merspieler wrote in Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:31 pm:Please DO NOT use cloudflare proxy for anything. They violate your users privacy by breaking open EVERY then no longer secure SSL/TLS connection. The worst part is, the users aren't even aware of that happening so you're pushing your users into privacy invasions they aren't even aware of.

FYI: the link in your signature redirects to a service using Cloudflare Proxy. I'd love to read a whitepaper about how CF is violating privacy and "breaking" TLS, given that they are PCI-DSS Level 1 certified, but that's not the topic of this thread. You are free to use what you wish.
Good hunting!
truthsolo

Postby Parnikkapore » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:59 am

[offtopic]
I'm pretty sure this is because Cloudflare has access to the unencrypted traffic (to do filtering, cache pages, reply on the site's behalf when the site is down, etc), and Who Knows What™ other things they could be doing with it.
[/offtopic]
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS

Return to Multiplayer