Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Screen Goes Red/Black when i descend?

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Screen Goes Red/Black when i descend?

Postby Bravo-21 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:18 pm

Because i usually fly fighter jets, its a pretty common thing to do dog-fight maneuvers, but whenever i try to do one, the screen just flashes red then goes black. ANY HELP PLEASE?
Bravo-21

Callsign: Bravo-8

Re: Screen Goes Red/Black when i descend?

Postby AndersG » Tue May 04, 2010 9:24 pm

Bravo-21 wrote:Because i usually fly fighter jets, its a pretty common thing to do dog-fight maneuvers, but whenever i try to do one, the screen just flashes red then goes black. ANY HELP PLEASE?

That's redout and blackout simulation... you can adjust the sensitivity (or switch off the effect) in the dialog you open by selecting the View->Cockpit View Options menu.

/Anders
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby Bravo-21 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:40 pm

I'm so grateful, thank-you loads =)
Bravo-21

Callsign: Bravo-8

Postby redneck » Wed May 05, 2010 12:07 am

You could also try being a little careful. Not all aircraft have G-limits, but some do. What tends to happen is when you blackout, it becomes very easy to exceed those limits as you are no longer able to see the accelerometer. When you exceed the limit, a wing rips off or the FDM freezes until you relax back pressure.
What speed are you trying these high-G maneuvers at? Generally, a cobra should never be performed beyond 300 kts. A high-G barrel roll, not beyond 500 kts. If you want to really practice acm, you should try to do so in a way that would not destroy the aircraft, even if damage isn't modeled. At least, if you want to be realistic, instead of making yourself into a super-human whose blood isn't influenced by strong forces of accelerations :wink:
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby glazmax » Thu May 06, 2010 6:21 pm

While a redout is mostly avoided and an indication that you are doing something wrong during your maneuvers, a blackout occurs when enduring high g-forces for too long. It is simple physics that works on your body and while your airplane can be adjusted to endure higher g-loads, your body has limited capacity.
Redout starts at 2-3g and leads very rapidly to the loss of sight in the best way, while blackout normally starts at 5-6g, for trained persons at 8g and with a g-suit at 9g. That is the limited capacity of our bodies we have to deal with, and accordingly the maneuvers have to be learned and flown to avoid overstess. Turning off the effect is like turning off the fdm, you cannot turn off physics in rl either.

Good luck for your flights,
glazmax
XXX pilot of the caribbean - bones and porters XXX
glazmax

Callsign: jettoo/OE-JTO
Version: cvs

Return to Flying