Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Flight planning maps

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Flight planning maps

Postby Merik » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:56 pm

The link provided in this tutorial (the runway finder) is only good for USA. I was searching for a way to plan similar short flights outside USA and I cam to http://www.flightsimaviation.com/_flight_planner.html

This is the informaton that site gives for the same flight from KRHV to KLVK:

Code: Select all
ID      FREQ   TRK   DIST   Coords                       Name/Remarks
KRHV             0      0   N37°19'58.39" W121°49'11.23" REID-HILLVIEW
DECOT          311     20   N37°36'21.73" W122°02'55.49" DECOT
KLVK            49     12   N37°41'36.20" W121°49'13.30" LIVERMORE MUN

As you can see, it says that after take off I have to take track 311 (in magnetic degrees), which is in contrast with the tutorial (and reality) in which track 350 should be taken.

Where does this change arise form?

Also, is there something like the runway finder which works for all over the world?
Merik

Re: Flight planning maps

Postby snipey » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:08 pm

snipey

Callsign: snipey
Version: GIT

Postby Merik » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:26 am

Excuse me? You pasted the same link I provided?
I'm using FlightGear Git version on a Win 7 machine with an onboard ATI graphic card and 3 GB of RAM.

These are the link I've found useful: Types of AirspeedE6B emulatorAirspaces explained with examples
Merik

Postby stuart » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:01 pm

Hi Merik,

The DECOT fix is quite a bit west of the VFR route described in the tutorial.

I suspect that the flight planning software is simply trying to find a route using navigation fixes that can be used as initial approach fixes for instrument approaches.

So, both routings are equally valid, though the tutorial routing is a bit more direct.

You should be fine using that software for flight planning. I've book-marked it for myself as well :)

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby Merik » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:01 pm

I'm still confused. Try to plan a flight from OIIE to OIII airport. The later is to the north and a little to the east of the former. However, the flight plan suggested by the link I provided above suggests using route 275 which is far to the west!

Code: Select all
ID      FREQ   TRK   DIST   Coords                       
OIIE             0      0   N35°24'58.00" E051°09'08.00"
RUS     116.95 275     12   N35°26'43.70" E050°54'19.30"
OIII            50     25   N35°41'20.00" E051°18'53.00"
I'm using FlightGear Git version on a Win 7 machine with an onboard ATI graphic card and 3 GB of RAM.

These are the link I've found useful: Types of AirspeedE6B emulatorAirspaces explained with examples
Merik

Postby stuart » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:20 pm

I suspect that the flight planning software is trying to find the shortest route using airways, which will involve at least one fix. Given the short distances you are using, it will often be a little out of the way.

If you just want to go directly from one airport to another, you can use the GPS DTO function, or a chart.

If you're still confused, I suggest doing some reading about navigation. There's lots to learn :)

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Postby Merik » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:31 am

That is exactly what I'm looking for, somehow: A chart! I want an online chart of all the world, using which I can plan a VFR flight myself. The charts available at runwayfinder are limitted to USA so for instance, I can't plan a flight from Frankfurt to Amsterdam there.

Merik

Postby stuart » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:59 am

Hi Merik,

I think you're out of luck. While you can easily get hold of US charts for free online, I've not found them available for the rest of the world.

Airport instrument approach plates are usually available for free from the national CAA, but VFR charts are often produced commerically, so you'll have to pay for them.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Postby Merik » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:15 am

All right, back to our discussion about the results provided by http://www.flightsimaviation.com/_flight_planner.html please look at this image:

The blue lines are the runways of OIIE and OIII airports. The orange arrow is the heading one should take to go from OIIE to OIII, which is somewhere between 30-45 degress. The red arrow is almost at 275 degrees, which is the heading suggested by http://www.flightsimaviation.com/_flight_planner.html

Unless I'm missing something obvious, http://www.flightsimaviation.com/_flight_planner.html is suggesting a totally wrong direction. What do you think?

Merik

Postby Merik » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:18 am

Actually, I think I sort of found the answer. This problem only occurs when I use the default options on that site. If I turn off the "Use STARs" feature, the headings are correct.

Merik

Return to Flying