Board index FlightGear Support Flying

New at flightgear, some questions

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

New at flightgear, some questions

Postby Jutsi » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:02 pm

Hello everyone. I've just started playing FlightGear yesterday. There's many things i dont understand, so i hope to get some help. I have learned to take off, but it's very slow, and i can only get the Cessna up in the air. Hope some of you can help me. I have also seen somebody talking about flying from an airport to another. At my screen it's just the airport i choose and some ugly forest or something. Hope someone is able to help me.
Jutsi

Re: New at flightgear, some questions

Postby Gijs » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:35 am

Welcome to FlightGear!
Jutsi wrote:There's many things i dont understand, so i hope to get some help.

That's what we are for here.
I have learned to take off, but it's very slow, and i can only get the Cessna up in the air.

The Cessna's (172) topspeed is about 123 kts (141 mph, 228 km/h), where the Boeing 747 has a top speed of 533 kts (614 mph, 988 km/h). So do not expect a fast flight like you may be used to while traveling around the world on an airliner. Or were you refering to the runway length required to takeoff?

I have also seen somebody talking about flying from an airport to another. At my screen it's just the airport i choose and some ugly forest or something.

Most airports are not located within 1 mile of eachother, so you'll have to fly some distance to get to another ;)
If you are flying online, you can use the mpmap to check your position, and what direction to fly for an airport. Please note, that the base package of FlightGear only comes with a small part of the world (San Francisco Bay Area). Check our wiki for instructions on installing more scenery: http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Ho ... ll_scenery

Cheers,
Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Re: New at flightgear, some questions

Postby Jutsi » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:49 am

Thank you for the answers!

Gijs wrote:Welcome to FlightGear!
Jutsi wrote:There's many things i dont understand, so i hope to get some help.

That's what we are for here.
I have learned to take off, but it's very slow, and i can only get the Cessna up in the air.

The Cessna's (172) topspeed is about 123 kts (141 mph, 228 km/h), where the Boeing 747 has a top speed of 533 kts (614 mph, 988 km/h). So do not expect a fast flight like you may be used to while traveling around the world on an airliner. Or were you refering to the runway length required to takeoff?

I can easily fly an Cessna at topspeed. But i can't get any other airplains up in the air. They are going far to slow. For example the boeings and the F-14. I can only make them fly 150 and they are crashing to the air all the time.

I have also seen somebody talking about flying from an airport to another. At my screen it's just the airport i choose and some ugly forest or something.

Most airports are not located within 1 mile of eachother, so you'll have to fly some distance to get to another ;)
If you are flying online, you can use the mpmap to check your position, and what direction to fly for an airport. Please note, that the base package of FlightGear only comes with a small part of the world (San Francisco Bay Area). Check our wiki for instructions on installing more scenery: http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Ho ... ll_scenery

I have tried to install some scenery's, but i can't see any differents. Maybe i'm putting them at the wrong place. How should i find another airport?? I dont have a map, and i can't see them. Hope you can help me again.

Cheers,
Gijs
Jutsi

Return to Flying