Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Approach Waypoints

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Approach Waypoints

Postby ChocBoy » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:35 pm

OK- so we all know the best way to end up lined with the runway is waypoints: e.g. DUMBA, FAITH, stuff like that, and input them into route manager.

However, I'm slightly confused on the procedure of getting a nice, lined-up approach to a runway.
So I know that you input the waypoints, and when you reach the final waypoint, you use the localiser of the runway, right?
So if I was flying to KSFO via East, when I reached the waypoint AXMUL, I would use the 28R frequency?

One other thing:
I know that KSFO's approaches are in the flightplan directory, but what about airports like KLAX's? Is there a site with the waypoints to use from directions (i know there's airnav, but airnav really only gives the frequencies, and I can't find the waypoints on it)
I can easily navigate TO an airport, but we all HATE the last minute, 90 degree turns to get on course for a runway. Just need a way to get lined up with the runway.
Account locked by self soon. Taking a break from FG. If you want to contact me, email me. Please don't hesitate. Anything, email.
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Callsign: ChocBoy

Re: Approach Waypoints

Postby MAKG » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:36 pm

There's airnav. It's not at all just frequencies.

Look at the instrument procedures.
MAKG

Postby ChocBoy » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:56 pm

Yes, but they don't say the direction you are coming from.

The only way I know that modesto is from the east for KSFO and bigsur from the south is that someone told me.
Account locked by self soon. Taking a break from FG. If you want to contact me, email me. Please don't hesitate. Anything, email.
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Postby MAKG » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Runways are determined by prevailing wind, not where you are coming from. Aircraft are never landed in opposing directions, and seldom in crossing directions.

If you've ever flown into KLAX for real, you've seen this in action. All aircraft land from the east under standard (onshore) conditions, even if you're coming in from Tokyo, Sydney, or San Francisco.

Use the metar or (preferably) ATIS services to find out which to use.
MAKG

Postby ChocBoy » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:37 pm

But in FG, the VOR and waypoints don't go according to wind.

I just need information on how to fly using the waypoint system.
Like if I was flying from KEWR to KSFO, I would use the east waypoint coordinates, regardless of the wind. In FG, most of the time, we don't take the wind into consideration (even though we should).
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Postby MAKG » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:17 pm

It sounds like you're asking about navigation. That's clear as mud; it's already done for you by the route manager. If you want to do it the old fashioned way (i.e., don't TOUCH the route manager), you can get all the US charts at skyvector.com. Waypoints are not relevant for that. They are just points in space, and without a GPS or a pair of fixes on VORs, you don't know when you have passed them.

If you want a REAL (generally commercial) flight plan, those are at flightaware.com.
MAKG

Postby redneck » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:28 am

If you scroll down to about the bottom of the page at airnav.com, you can take a look at the charts for SIDs and STARS. Those charts are the ones with the waypoints you're looking for. But, it seems from your posts that you don't know which chart to use, since each one describes a route for approaching from a different direction. Usually, if you look carefully, the chart will say somewhere on it (i.e. from the Northwest). Then, you will know if it is the right chart to use or not depending on which direction you plan to approach from. An easier method is to search on flightaware.com to see if the flight you plan to do has been done in real life (only for the US). You will be able to see several different routes taken to get from the same departure airport to the same arrival airport. The described routes will also include the SIDs and STARs used (if any). That takes some of the guess work out of looking up the right STAR chart.
If you're still confused, check out this four part video tutorial. It will teach you everything you need to know about how to read charts and use SIDs and STARs. It may also help you understand radio navigation a little better. Let me know if that helps.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby GivingHope » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:30 am

ChocBoy wrote:One other thing:
I know that KSFO's approaches are in the flightplan directory, but what about airports like KLAX's? Is there a site with the waypoints to use from directions (i know there's airnav, but airnav really only gives the frequencies, and I can't find the waypoints on it)
I can easily navigate TO an airport, but we all HATE the last minute, 90 degree turns to get on course for a runway. Just need a way to get lined up with the runway.

I'm quite new to this as well. What is the flightplan directory and where can i find this?
GivingHope

Postby redneck » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:41 am

C:\Program Files (x86)\FlightGear\data\AI\FlightPlans
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby GivingHope » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:16 am

what are they for?
GivingHope

Postby ChocBoy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:44 pm

Thanks everybody for your help.

I think I've finally got it.
The STARS and SIDS on airnav give waypoints directly in course with the runway, so no matter what direction you're coming from, you can use them.

For example, 2 waypoints in front of KSFO 28R are CEDES and AXMUL.

So for those of you are confused, you put these waypoints (CEDES and AXMUL) into Route Manager, select "True Heading" on AP and the plane flies there! Then you use a localizer.
Issue Solved :D :D :D :D
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Return to Flying