Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Does the artificial horizon work correctly in FlightGear?

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Re: Does the artificial horizon work correctly in FlightGear

Postby stuart » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:11 pm

0303 wrote in Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:15 pm:Does the artificial horizon tumble, go completely bananas, due to the built in mechanical stops (+-60 degree pitch or 110 degree roll) in older planes (like all Warbirds)?

Given FlightGear is free to download, I'd suggest just trying it yourself and seeing if it meets your expectations. I'd recommend the p51d Mustang if you are particularly interested in warbirds, or the c172p if you prefer GA.

Of course, the wonderful thing about FlightGear, is that being Open Source, if you find that it doesn't model the AI tumble properly, you could modify it.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby david.megginson » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:23 am

I'll add that back in 2002 and 2003, when I was doing my Private Pilot's License and Instrument Rating, I invested an awful lot of time writing code to make FlightGear's "steam" and gyro instruments unreliable, at a time when other flightsims didn't bother— the instruments drift, lag, tumble, oscillate, dip, and tumble in a creditable imitation of the real thing. Much of my original code has probably been improved or replaced now, but we have a long history of trying to get this stuff right.

I'm sorry I never got around to VOR scalloping — our CDI locks on like a GPS at 20–40 nm away from the station, when it should be gently drifting a bit left and right. We also don't have terrain interference. But we try.
David MEGGINSON (he/him)
I need more tea.
Scenery: FlightGear Americas Scenery
Fediverse: @david_megginson@mstdn.ca
david.megginson

Pronouns: he/him
Version: next

Postby Alant » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:51 am

Unfortunately many Flightgear aircraft use properties such as /orientation/pitch-deg to drive instruments, instead of those in /instrumentation/xxxxx
The former is the real aircraft pitch attitude, the latter includes tumble and power supply effects etc.

/instrumentation includes simulations of self-contained signals driven directly from the pitot/static system as well as others driven by more modern air data systems and gyro systems. Some FG aircraft simulate bespoke installations, but these are few and far between.
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: from Git

Postby david.megginson » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:25 am

Alant wrote in Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:51 am:Unfortunately many Flightgear aircraft use properties such as /orientation/pitch-deg to drive instruments, instead of those in /instrumentation/xxxxx
The former is the real aircraft pitch attitude, the latter includes tumble and power supply effects etc.

/instrumentation includes simulations of self-contained signals driven directly from the pitot/static system as well as others driven by more modern air data systems and gyro systems. Some FG aircraft simulate bespoke installations, but these are few and far between.

We should make a collective effort to find and fix those. Even glass panels are subject to various probe errors (as we saw with the 737-MAX crashes).

I've also noticed that some aircraft have beautiful 3D models but not very realistic flight models; there's one where I can cut power, hold it close to stall, and it barely descends (when you'd expect over 1,000 fpm); we can't keep bragging that we're more realistic than MSFS if we don't make an effort with the non-visual stuff. I also find that some of the piston aircraft are way overpowered (they can yellow-line in level cruise at 55% power).

Oh well, we'll always be a work in progress. I don't know how to make beautiful visual models, so maybe I can help design some more-realistic YASim flight models.
David MEGGINSON (he/him)
I need more tea.
Scenery: FlightGear Americas Scenery
Fediverse: @david_megginson@mstdn.ca
david.megginson

Pronouns: he/him

Postby Octal450 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:10 am

Can that instrument can simulate IRS provided attitude? Because so far I only saw it able to do standalone instruments. Even then I ended up simulating a lot myself because it acted like for a more GA style instrument not for airliner where everything tied into everything.

@David I would suggest focusing on JSBsim flight models, YAsim is inherently going to be less-realistic due to that cannot define much about the dynamics. I've flown a couple that fly "nice" but not a single one where I could fly by the POH numbers (if you know one, please link me, I'd love to try it).

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Basic Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Previous

Return to Flying