Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Phisics and Keyboard controlls

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Phisics and Keyboard controlls

Postby alexusone » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:32 am

hi all and forgive me for perhaps being rude. i just downloaded flight gear as wanted to do simulations for adrupilor (RC drone project... this was listed there as option for emulator) and i tried default flight with skyhawk. did not read tutorial obviously but that plane not big deal BUT figured out i cant stat it up appernty there no fuel in it :) i set settings to have full both tanks no reaction gauge show empty tanks and and simulator hints show out of fuel, gauges actually show no bat and no oil pressure... ok fine found auto start button so surprising no fuel but starts and kinda flights.. then came fun on control obviould cant use mouse on pedals so trued keyboard shortcuts figured i need to twist finders over Enter and 0 to control rudder and ailerons are in between which looks completely conter intuetive (unless there some logic behind that i dont know) going crazy for 3 housr go this to fly and land BUT what makde me crazy and posting this thing ....

if there physics emulation? even if i manage to take off and it tool me at least 20+ crashes to figure out how to take off i found out that press key too much and plane flips 180 degree in split seconds its like there is no air resistance or any force applied to plane. I have quite bit of real hours on real planes, mostly jets and i never seen or wish i could change plane orientation this fast, i dont think anything would respond that fast it takes some time to do barrel or roll and in this simulator seams like u press button u already flipped

is it something wrong with me? or maybe im missing something or need to do settings? i mean i mnot planing to use this simulator to lern to fly i know how and very well, how ever im looking for solution to imitate drone behavior and test its electronic and seams like we will be getting totally wrong simulations if physics not realistic

any comments? tnx
alexusone

Re: Phisics and Keyboard controlls

Postby Thorsten » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:02 pm

then came fun on control obviould cant use mouse on pedals

As a matter of fact you can (and you can also avoid the need to do it at all) - mouse control actually works pretty well even for helicopters.

Most of your problems seem to be tracable back to not having read any manual. So there's that...

if there physics emulation? even if i manage to take off and it tool me at least 20+ crashes to figure out how to take off i found out that press key too much and plane flips 180 degree in split seconds its like there is no air resistance or any force applied to plane.

Depends on the craft obviously. There are highly accurate JSBSim FDMs based on tons of wind tunnel data (the Viggen comes to mind, the Space Shuttle,...) - and then there's rather quickly done YaSim planes which perform well if you stay within an envelope and react crazy if you stray out and do unusual things. In particular YaSim is known for rather strong reaction to fast control input - probably that's what you're seeing.

If you enjoy realism, fly a plane which has it.

i mean i mnot planing to use this simulator to lern to fly i know how and very well, how ever im looking for solution to imitate drone behavior and test its electronic and seams like we will be getting totally wrong simulations if physics not realistic

The physics of JSBSim is just fine - just not every FDM definition is providing good input. While there are people in FG who strive for realism, it's by no means so that everyone does - and that too is acceptable.
Thorsten

Postby TheEagle » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:34 pm

alexusone wrote in Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:32 am:it takes some time to do barrel or roll and in this simulator seams like u press button u already flipped

I think you misunderstood something - the plane won't roll left as long as you hold the left arrow key - rather, it will roll left as long as the aileron is set to the left - and the keys merely adjust the flight control positions, so when you hold the left arrow key for a few seconds, you are at full left aileron, and you need to hold the right arrow for a few seconds to move the ailerons back towards the right (or 5 to recenter all controls). You might want to enable the HUD (press h and 3x Shift+i) where you can see the exact position of all main flight controls ! :)
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby alexusone » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:38 pm

TheEagle wrote in Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:34 pm:
alexusone wrote in Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:32 am:it takes some time to do barrel or roll and in this simulator seams like u press button u already flipped

You might want to enable the HUD (press h and 3x Shift+i) where you can see the exact position of all main flight controls ! :)

i will try enabling HUD if i get working gauges it may helep better. tnx

TheEagle wrote in Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:34 pm:
alexusone wrote in Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:32 am:the plane won't roll left as long as you hold the left arrow key - rather, it will roll left as long as the aileron is set to the left - and the keys merely adjust the flight control positions,

well keys to help controll everything, in aircraft u use both legs and both hands. with keyboard and mouse thats less so and also there no physicals tension of keyboard (well new aircrafts have no tension either but at least your body reacts to reposes)

if l press button for aileron it will flip, i don't think it can change position instantaneously as there air pressure on it. tried to fly big cargo plane in real life and it took forever just to change approach angle, you can pull stick all you want but given size response very slow

so any way my intent not to lern to fly anything existing here but tets electronics for new thing thouh not sure if this will work out will still try... as i dont want to build our own simulator just yet
Last edited by alexusone on Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alexusone

Postby alexusone » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:43 pm

Thorsten wrote in Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:02 pm:
then came fun on control obviould cant use mouse on pedals

Depends on the craft obviously. There are highly accurate JSBSim FDMs based on tons of wind tunnel data (the Viggen comes to mind, the Space Shuttle,...) - and then there's rather quickly done YaSim ...

i will try Viggen at least it cold be closer to what i used to fly if there Mig29 data it would be much better. Obviously 99.999% have no idea how shuttle handles :)
I though default only fdm supplied should be best and most polished done
alexusone

Postby Thorsten » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:55 am

well keys to help controll everything, in aircraft u use both legs and both hands. with keyboard and mouse thats less so and also there no physicals tension of keyboard (well new aircrafts have no tension either but at least your body reacts to reposes)

You can get the fancy simulation equipment you want and connect it to FG - nobody forces you to fly keyboard, but if you do, you have to live with the limitations. Complaining about key response isn't going to help here.

i will try Viggen at least it cold be closer to what i used to fly if there Mig29 data it would be much better.

Somehow I doubt there will be Public Domain wind tunnel data for a Soviet-made fighter plane. So that would argue that the data situation here is not really good either (but I don't strictly know).

I though default only fdm supplied should be best and most polished done

The C-172p (which is the default) is fairly polished. You however have flown the Skyhawk (or at least told us so) - which is not the default.

Obviously 99.999% have no idea how shuttle handles :)

That's largely irrelevant because we have the data table to tell us how it handles under various conditions and we can compare with NASA performance profile measurements (and of course we have the comments of some NASA guys who did the Shuttle sim there) . It's a rate-controlled fly-by-wire anyway, so the response to controls is generally really smooth and pleasant.
Thorsten

Return to Flying