Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Erratic elevator trim

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Erratic elevator trim

Postby A-6 B/N » Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:26 am

Just in the last day or two the elevator trim has gone crazy: the slightest movement of the trim button results in violent pitching of the A/C (I've had the same problem on both the A-6 and the A-10). Aileron trim works fine -- nice and smooth. Any ideas on what the problem is and how I can fix it?
A-6 B/N

Re: Erratic elevator trim

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:47 am

is this only with the A-6 and A-10?
do you have more than one controller plugged in?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby A-6 B/N » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:04 pm

The A-6 and A-10 are the only two a/c I've ben flying lately. The only trim control is the button on the Wartog joystick.
A-6 B/N

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:10 pm

A-6 B/N wrote in Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:04 pm:The A-6 and A-10 are the only two a/c I've ben flying lately.

ok...

A-6 B/N wrote in Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:04 pm:The only trim control is the button on the Wartog joystick.

that's an answer to a question not asked...

so to clarify the question i asked and also for example, we had someone reporting "ghost" movements being done while they were flying... turned out they had a RC controller plugged into their PC's USB for charging... it was also being seen and inputs taken from it at the same time... when they unplugged it, their "ghost" input problem went away...

in the same vein, i have to be sure i unplug my xbox controller when i fly or FG will sometimes take "ghost" inputs from it... yes, even if i'm using my keyboard or my T.16000M...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby TheEagle » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:35 pm

Please try other aircraft - such as the C172P - if you are sure that you have only one joystick plugged in.
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby A-6 B/N » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:41 pm

UPDATE: Problem solved. For elevator trim, "Trim to Position" is unstable; I have to use "Trim Increment" which is well-behaved. However, for aileron trim, "Trim to Position:" works better. Go figure!
A-6 B/N

Return to Flying