Board index FlightGear Support Flying

ATC voiceover starts narrating before radio is even enabled

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

ATC voiceover starts narrating before radio is even enabled

Postby unhappytroll » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:17 pm

Particularly this is the problem in busy airports, like Heathrow (EGLL). F.e. I'm loading with 707, and as soon I switch the battery on, AI speech system starts narrate all requests and permissions. Yes, my radios is not even switched on at this point. And if you start with enabled AI/MP and ATC in the sound configuration, disabling those options will do nothing (tuning the radio out of freq or switching it off do nothing too), at least immediately, as if like there is still messages in the voice buffer, and they _should_ be replayed at all costs. They'll stop eventually, but this is really annoying. And this is not how it should work, I believe.

FG 2020.3.13, Windows, solo play.

upd. Most amusing part, is that in some cases narration starts with even battery off and sound option disabled.
Last edited by unhappytroll on Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
unhappytroll

Re: ATC voiceover starts narrating before radio is even enab

Postby unhappytroll » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:45 pm

and speaking more broadly, I don't understand most of ATC dialog UI decisions.
why my calls to ATC are narrated back to me, if voiceover is enabled? well, I can surmise, it is for MP, but why in solo mode?
why ATC reply to me shows as a button, pushing of which again start narration of the same answer? I can read, it can be narrated simply automatically (and showed as a text with my reply under it as a button), it's quite obvious choice, not even mentioning how it is done in MSFS2020.
I already mentioned that it is customarily breaks after taxiing permission had obtained, and you approach a holding line for active runway, that I can at least understand, because it will require a trigger in holding area for each and every airport placed automatically, but why it cannot be reset, if you already on the runway? or after you already took off? surely, it can be checked in state machine, amirite?
unhappytroll

Return to Flying