Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Markings on the landscape, aka a pointer to my airstrip?

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Markings on the landscape, aka a pointer to my airstrip?

Postby bboett » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:41 am

Hello!

i am new here and to flight simulators... and am a pilot in training....
setup on the comp:
Ubuntu stable with an Nvidida card and fgfs 2020.3.6
thrustmaster T16000M full kit, don't know if i should have done a post by question, well...

- is there a way to activate markings on the scenery to show me where my airstrip is, i have to admit whilst in the reality, i have no problems spotting it in flightgear i get lost all the time..... so also marking the towns would be nice! some tips how i am able to recognize where i am? my usual visual helps are not very recognizable (antennas, watercastles, townshapes...) the map is a help, but well it is quite bare.... and ATM i fly by sight, not yet had the course on goniometry :D
So yeah, its a small airstrip (LFSH) but specially on making my base i would like a big fat red arrow pointing to the strip ;)

- the cockpit setup: is it possible to store also the viewpoint? each time i start the simulator (or restart) the viewpoint is to narrow and to low ?

- the thrustmaster setup is way too sensitive, i allready put sensitivity to max, but still.... i don't count the times i crashed the cessna on the simulator whilst the real one i have the feeling to need to abuse it really extensively to get it to loose it.... (i had the courses on "unhooking"?? beeing too slow and angulated to keep lifting, falling with a too angulated upward turn and spiral downflight...); the real one has also a lot more power, i need 30% less airstrip to get airborne and that's with 245kg of pilot+instructor.....

- each time i shift-esc to reset the flight, flightgear crashes.... i don't think that's normal? what can i do to help there?

anyway real happy to be able to train with a lot less strain on my wallet.....
bboett

Callsign: F-bboett
Version: 2020.3.13

Re: Markings on the landscape, aka a pointer to my airstrip?

Postby TheEagle » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:34 am

1. You have two possibilities, with the first one being easier, but showing really just the starting airport:
    • Activate the HUD with h then cycle the HUD style by pressing Shift+i four times - there will be a big (green) arrow which always points to the airport you started the simulator at. You can change that to a red arrow by pressing h again, and to hide the HUD and arrow again press h yet again.
    • Marker pins have been introduced recently - large color-coded "diamonds" in the scenery, and each airport, city, navaid, even other players (with MP enabled) and AI models and whatever else gets one, and the corresponding name is displayed on top. But as mentioned before, they have been introduced recently - so to get them, you need to either build FG from source or download a nightly build.
  2. I'll have to do some experiments first before I can say how, but there definitely is.
  3. Try putting the sensitivity to Min if it's already too sensitive ! ;)

P.S.: to better see the airstrip, you might want to start with a high visibility weather - Menu -> Environment -> Weather and in the dialog set the scenario to "Core high pressure region". As for the map, check all checkboxes on the upper half of the left side of the Map dialog - that should give you airport names, NavAids (and city names too, AFAIK).
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby bboett » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:53 am

Hi!
thanks! that helped, ok, i fetched the .13 image, indeed the graphics a much nicer (still having trouble recognizing e.g. the airstrip... what could be done there?) also the plane has the same specs as the real now....
bboett

Postby TheEagle » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:06 am

Nah, you need the 2020.4.0 - it's not really a release, but the nightly build instead.
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
TheEagle

Postby bboett » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:44 pm

sorry to bother again....
on the page daily build, the last paragraph end with linux and tells to use a compile script, unfortunately i don't see any link to that script?
and there don't seem to be precompiled images of any type either?
bboett

Postby MariuszXC » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:57 pm

I think it is important to note, that 2020.4.0 is a development version, so expect things to improve, then stop working, then get better as work progresses.
Maybe, as a new user, stick with 2020.3.13 for a week and get a feeling for what is what, before switching to the development version.
Or install both versions ad try them both, but in that case I would advise to create a separate user (so they have separate home directories) to fully separate configuration and sim state files between stable and development versions.

Edit: jut noted your recent post. Look here:
https://wiki.flightgear.org/FGMeta
https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fg ... compile.sh
INOP
MariuszXC

Callsign: SP-MRM
Version: 2020.4

Postby SurferTim » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:12 pm

Here is the download_and_compile.sh script. Click on "Download this file".
https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fg ... compile.sh
Fly low. Fly slow. Land on a dime. Twin Otter. https://github.com/SurferTim/dhc6p
My other aircraft is a Citation-X https://github.com/SurferTim/CitationX
PirateAir videos at https://www.youtube.com/user/SurferTim850
SurferTim

Callsign: Pirate
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby TheEagle » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:58 pm

No need to go for the download_and_compile.sh - there are prebuilt binaries for 2020.4.0 (the nightly version). Here's the link for the AppImage: https://download.flightgear.org/builds/ ... 4.AppImage
Download that and save it in /home/<username>/.local/bin/FlightGear-2020.4.0.AppImage. In your file browser, navigate to the AppImage file you just saved and make it executable. Next, open a terminal and git clone the corresponding FGData from GitLab, then ensure you are using the next branch:
Code: Select all
~$ git clone https://gitlab.com/flightgear/fgdata.git fgdata-git
~$ cd fgdata-git
~/fgdata-git$ git switch next

Copying the 2020.3.6 FG_HOME (aka /home/<username>/.fgfs) folder will get you most of your 2020.3.6 settings into the nightly version:
~$ cp -r .fgfs .fgfs-git

Then, you can finally start your nightly build of FG:
~$ FG_HOME=/home/<username>/.fgfs-git .local/bin/FlightGear-2020.4.0.AppImage

Hold Shift or Alt right after pressing Enter on this command - that'll bring up the FGData location dialog, where you have to select /home/<username>/fgdata-git.
The FG_HOME=… part must NOT be removed - without it, the nightly build will 1) try to use 2020.3.6 data files which won't work and 2) might screw up some 2020.3.6 stuff - so it's really important that that stays there !

If any problems appear, don't hesitate to post them here ! :)
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
TheEagle

Postby miguel » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:35 pm

hello bboett:
download the nightly FG 2020.4.0.
and then in view/view options/Marker pins.
you choose
miguel
miguel

Postby dilbert » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:31 pm

If you kow the Latitude and Longitude of the airport, you can always go to Equipment/GPS settings in the F10 overhead menu. It tells you where you are at the moment. Easy to see changes as you fly; and not that hard to see what direction you might need go to get to the airport.
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Postby wlbragg » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:32 pm

Hi bboett,

I'm one of the many people that have worked on the c172p in FlightGear. Is this the aircraft your training on?
I would love to hear a detailed critique of the differences you observe between the real aircraft and our simulation. We are always looking for feedback to help improve the simulation.
We would also appreciate hearing about what we actually got right.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby bboett » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:22 am

Hello all!
thanks for the help! i make 2 quick scripts (one to download the nighly build to be added to crontab, i suppose it allways has the .4 tag? (primitive, but in case someone wants them...)
gave it a quick run (after having been shaken out for real... BTW the weather is a lot nicer in the sim.... instructor lost 10 years of life-expectancy :D) and indeed a lot nicer!

i will have to look into terragear the buildings here in Haguenau are quite specific (triangular shape, the club houses are only roof, and the hangars have tarmac in front and not grass, and are hangars...) i am also missing my lakes... quite useful waypoints....

@wlbragg yes i am training on a c172p and the latest versions are more accurate, reaction on rudder are still a tad faster than on the real one, my actual training plane has some how more climbing power than the fg model, the horodator is completely on the right side and i am missing my call sign plate ( ;) kidding but would be nice touch though)
and i am far from having made the complete tour of the simulator, at the moment i am just doing "tour de piste" (don't know the english term....) means taking of and making a square flight around the strip and touch & go and again...

otherwise great job, thanks a lot!
bboett

Postby TheEagle » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:35 am

Tour de piste, that's called a pattern in English ! :) By the way, you're living only 50 km south of me ! :)

As for TerraGear, you only need that for the actual terrain (taxiways, lakes, etc.) - for the buildings, streets, and powerlines you need OSM2City.
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
TheEagle

Postby bboett » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:05 am

TheEagle wrote in Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:35 am:Tour de piste, that's called a pattern in English ! :) By the way, you're living only 50 km south of me ! :)

thanks! will need to find a aeronautic english guide at some time....
:D the world is small :D
ok will look for OSM2City !
bboett

Return to Flying