Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Taxi tutorial, strange seat position

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Taxi tutorial, strange seat position

Postby Gunther_H » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:07 pm

The system I'm using is a Ubuntu Linux system with a FlightGear Version 2020.3.6 on it and a c172p. Starting the taxi tutorial as a newbe I faced a strange behaviour. After shifting the airplane's position from BIKF to another airport and starting the engine, the seat is set to the lowest possible position (by the tutorial). The result was, that I could not see the environment (except through the side window). So my first taxiing experiences I got using an outside view. It took some time to me to find out, that the seat can be lifted with Alt <Pg Up>.
It's no severe problem at all but a better seat position would be quite helpful for beginners.
Gunther_H

Re: Taxi tutorial, strange seat position

Postby Woosh » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:15 pm

Hello Gunter_H

I have seen you had no answer to your report for a while.

Sorry for that.

What you have experienced seem to me like what happen when you "change unwillingly the point of view".

Way to redo and to undo:
1. or press [tab] key or right mouse button until have the arrow <-->
2. maintain pressed the middle mouse button
3. move up on the screen to mouse pointer

Did this have helped ?
Woosh

Postby Gunther_H » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:38 am

Hallo Woosh,
thanks for your answer. The behaviour described above is no real problem to me since I found some solution by myself. I've only posted it for other newbies to prevent them wasting time when they are facing the same problem than I did. I therefore did not really expect an answer.
To answer your question - it did not help. The behaviour of my system seems to differ a bit from the one you described. By means of the [tab] key I can get the arrows <-->. In this mode I can change the view angle by shifting the mouse left, right, up and down. It is not necessary to press any mouse keys for that. By means of the mouse wheel, I can change the zoom factor. But in all cases the own position is not changed at all.
To me the problem I described in my original post seems to be some setup problem: When I'm starting the tutorial, the seat position is correct for about half a second and then the seat is pulled down. And then I can only see the instrument panel in front of me and a bit of the sky when I'm looking upwards.
Gunther_H

Postby TheEagle » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:43 pm

Yeah, but when you have the <-> mouse, you should be able to move the view position by pressing the middle mouse button. if that doesn't work, the same can be done in Menu -> View -> Viewpoint position (or Viewpoint settings, I'm not sure).
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby Gunther_H » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:39 pm

Thanks, I did not know about this way to change the own position. What you described is correct and I can change my own position by that. But this was not the main issue of my post. What I noticed is - starting the taxiing tutorial, the position in the beginning is as desired. About half a second later when the engine is started automatically, also the own position is changed automatically with the effect that I cannot look through the front window any more. No question - it is possible to restore the desired position by hand before releasing the break and following the tutorial. By my post I just wanted to give a hint what can be done to go on without wasting time as a newbie.
Gunther_H

Postby TheEagle » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:45 pm

i have an idea as to what could be causing the issue you have - the C172P has a view called "IFR training view" which positions the camera in such a way that the left half of the panel covers the screen - I think the tutorial is switching the view from "Cockpit view" to that "IFR training view" when it is started. Could you please verify this by starting the tutorial, then opening the property browser by pressing / or Shift+7, navigating to /sim/current-view/name and checking if it has the value "IFR training view" ?
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby wlbragg » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:06 pm

If it is you might be starting the IFR tutorial?
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Woosh » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:31 pm

@GUNTER_H or future newbies reading this.

just to make it clear and simple:

in FG any bit of code is accessible and modifiable and thus anything you want and wish is doable.
+
You (yet) do not have the "know how", no matter, there are here many skilled and nice people here ready to help you.

The only problem remaining to solve is understand / see what you have seen / experienced.

A screen capture some time happen to be very handy / helpful.

As you see, there is really no "waste of time".
But I again understand you had a "frustrating experience"
and I can assure you most users do not have/had it, and I wish you the same fun.
Woosh

Return to Flying