Board index FlightGear Support Flying

How do I figure out specific aircraft keys

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

How do I figure out specific aircraft keys

Postby Jkru » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:56 am

I've been trying to takeoff and land from carriers, but most aircraft don't have lists for keys such as the tailhook and engaging catapult. How do I figure this out, and if anyone knows what is the key for tailhook on the Seahawk?
Jkru

Re: How do I figure out specific aircraft keys

Postby Thorsten » Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:20 am

Most aircraft do not have a tailhook, so they don't need keys for it.

The usual state of affairs is that aircraft-specific keys are declared in the aircraft-specific help file and are then listed in the help dialog. If that is not the case and there is also no aircraft wiki page, then your only other option is to look through the aircraft source files for the key bindings.

Since the Seahawk seems to include generic carrier key bindings, I'd assume that shift-L and shift-C do the catapult and o toggles the tailhook, but it's been a while since I've flown it.
Thorsten

Postby TheEagle » Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:24 am

That's correct Thorsten - o sets the tailhook to the Up position an Shift+o to the down position, with the generic carrier bindings.

@jkru: as you already noticed, the Seahawk and some other aircraft have no custom aircraft help in-sim which would normally include the key bindings. If there isn't anything on the wiki page either, your only choice is to look in the aircraft's -set.xml file - just search for "keyboard" and you'll either find the key bindings directly there, or you'll get the path to an included file where the key bindings are stored.
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby cgdae » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:31 am

Jkru wrote in Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:56 am:I've been trying to takeoff and land from carriers, but most aircraft don't have lists for keys such as the tailhook and engaging catapult. How do I figure this out, and if anyone knows what is the key for tailhook on the Seahawk?

The seahawk in fgaddon seems to have a conventional Flightgear dialogue with this information - open this dialogue by pressing ? or use menu item Help / Aircraft Help.

It says o/O hook up/down.

Hope that helps.

- Jules
cgdae

Postby Jkru » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:05 pm

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it.
Jkru

Return to Flying