Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Spitfire Mk1X Simulation

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Spitfire Mk1X Simulation

Postby peterg1000 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:29 pm

I've been learning to fly this aircraft (badly at times!!) and have found some unusual characteristics which may be due to limitations in the FDM. Please don't take these comments as criticism - they are just my experience in learning the machine.

On take off full left rudder is needed - fine, this is recommended in the genuine Pilots Notes. Slowly advance throttle - and a/c accelerates straight down runway until at about 60+ knots there is sudden swing to the left and anticlockwise roll. Roll can be counterected by applying appropriate aileron correction throughout the take off run, the swing by very quick and accurate right rudder. Even the slightest rudder error invariably results in a cross country excursion - even after reducing the rudder sensitivity by a factor of 4!! If the swing is anticipated and even the slightest swing to the right is allowed to develop then at the critical speed all rudder control is lost and the a/c immediately departs the runway to the right.

There is a basic error in the instrument layout in that the RAF 1940 standard layout of the 6 primary instruments is not followed. The correct layout should be:- Top row ASI - AH - ALT Bottom row T&S - DI - VSI.
Current layout is:- Top row ASI - AH - VSI Bottom row ALT - DI - T&S

Using keyboard "c" to hide or view the instrument panel always results in the view reverting to the initial default, all previous changes being lost.

When pulling high "g", the whole screen darkens whereas in reality (from personal experience in a Chipmunk) it's the peripheral vison that goes first at between 4 and 5g, going towards increasing tunnel vision as "g" increases towards 6g. Relaxing back pressure in the stick allows almost instant recovery - whereas the simulation is very slow to recover by comparison. I've not tried "Red out" !!

Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge or programming skills to be able to modify any of the above - although I do have a copy of the official pilots notes for the Mk 11 Spitfire. Is there a tutorial anywhere that would at least let me understand the basic structure and methodology of FG ?
peterg1000

Re: Spitfire Mk1X Simulation

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:31 pm

peterg1000 wrote in Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:29 pm:When pulling high "g", the whole screen darkens whereas in reality (from personal experience in a Chipmunk) it's the peripheral vison that goes first at between 4 and 5g, going towards increasing tunnel vision as "g" increases towards 6g. Relaxing back pressure in the stick allows almost instant recovery - whereas the simulation is very slow to recover by comparison. I've not tried "Red out" !!

yeah, i think you're seeing the blackout stuff... enable redout and i think you'll see it first as you expect and then if you continue on with high Gs, blackout will come...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby S&J » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:26 pm

The problem here is that in using FGaddon you're probably not flying the best FG spitfire.
"Stay away from negative people.They have a problem for every solution." - Albert Einstein
S&J

Postby peterg1000 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:06 pm

S&J wrote in Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:26 pm:The problem here is that in using FGaddon you're probably not flying the best FG spitfire.

Any advice on where to obtain a better version - I'm new to this, so don't know what or where alternatives are available.
peterg1000

Return to Flying