Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Airplane fails to fly/start  Topic is solved

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Airplane fails to fly/start

Postby Xorinet » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:06 pm

Hello, I am a new user of FlightGear, and am impressed with the graphics.

However, I regret to inform everyone that after I load FlightGear (2020.4.0, fg+data+simgear installed from SourceForge -> Git -> cmake) and select the Cessna C172P (default plane), it fails to fly. Sometimes, when I try, it fails to even start. I have tried many solutions suggested by many people, but they have all failed to work.
I use Arch Linux (specifically ArcoLinux), and have an AMD Radeon Graphics card. This problem has occured at multiple airports, however I have only tried with the default airplane.
My fgfs.log is as such: https://pastebin.com/8wKiQSWQ

How do I get FlightGear to work as intended?
Thank you very much in advance.
Xorinet

Re: Airplane fails to fly/start

Postby D-ECHO » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:26 pm

Hi xorinet and welcome to the forum!

Could you please describe a little more detailed what you mean by "fails to fly/fails to start"? Do you get to when you "sit in the cockpit"? Does the engine fail to start? Or does FG crash?
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby WoodSTokk » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:24 pm

According to the log file, the aircraft will be loaded normally.
Try to use the autostart feature. The aircraft it self should work properly.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Xorinet » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:56 am

D-ECHO wrote in Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:26 pm:Hi xorinet and welcome to the forum!

Could you please describe a little more detailed what you mean by "fails to fly/fails to start"? Do you get to when you "sit in the cockpit"? Does the engine fail to start? Or does FG crash?

Hello! I am able to sit in the cockpit, but when I attempt to start the plane with the handbook or use Autostart, the plane just will not start. (Using Autostart, it says "The autostart failed to start the engine. You must lean the mixture and start the engine manually." or something like that)

Edit: When I try after reinstalling, the plane is able to start, however even when I open the throttle fully, the plane will not move. I have removed all wheel chocks and tie-downs, and ensured that the parking brake was released.

Hope that answers your question!
Xorinet

Postby Xorinet » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:30 am

Update: I am happy to say that when I reinstalled FlightGear yet again, I tried it again and it worked flawlessly!
(I often find that the solution to most problems is to just reinstall :p)
Xorinet

Postby WoodSTokk » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:10 pm

Your last problem (aircraft not moving while firewalling the throttle) is a bug in the 'system damage code'.
If you suffer that problem again, go into the C172-menu and turn off 'damage simualtion' and turn it back on.

The message about 'lean the mixture' is possible that you flooded the engine with too much primer.
If that happens, lean the mixture and crank the engine some seconds to blow out the excess fuel.
Then put the mixture back in and try to start.

If the engine isnt cranking, maybe the battery is drained.
I think you can order external power via the aircraft menu.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:17 pm

WoodSTokk wrote in Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:10 pm:If the engine isnt cranking, maybe the battery is drained.

this is certainly possible in the c172p... if you are just sitting in the cockpit with some electrical things turned on, the battery will be draining while it is feeding power to them... if you don't get the craft started, there's nothing to recharge the battery...

WoodSTokk wrote in Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:10 pm:I think you can order external power via the aircraft menu.

i don't recall but you can force a recharge on the battery by using the menu's repair option...

also, don't forget to do your safety walk-around of the craft... check the oil and the fuel... if you are using realistic mode, the oil may be (too) low or the fuel may have (too much) water in it...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Flying