Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Joystick configuration: where is "custom"defined

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Joystick configuration: where is "custom"defined

Postby omnibus1 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:37 pm

Hallo,

in the joystick conf menu there is often an axis or button preassinged with "custom". So where is defined what "custom" means, especially since there can me multiple such assignments looking all the same.

Cheers
omnibus1
omnibus1

Re: Joystick configuration: where is "custom"defined

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:46 pm

didn't you ask this the other day? i distinctly remember answering this or an extremely similar question the other day... ahhh, yeah... it was right here -> https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=38951
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby omnibus1 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:11 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:46 pm:didn't you ask this the other day? i distinctly remember answering this or an extremely similar question the other day... ahhh, yeah... it was right here -> https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=38951

Not quite. The other question was about assigning keyboard keys to joystick buttons. This one is about how I can distinguish the multiple "Custom" assignments in the josytick conf menu. I understand, that I can look up in the joystick xml and with the help of jstest toil out which "Custom" axe and button means what. But can I rename all these "Custom" assignments in the joystick conf menu with speaking names like "Ailleron", "Rudder", "my special button" what so ever?

Cheeers
omnibus1

Postby Johan G » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:52 pm

omnibus1 wrote in Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:11 pm:[...] assigning keyboard keys to joystick buttons.

In the config files the bindings are basically done the same way whether they are bindings for keyboard buttons, joystick buttons, or the the joystick axis.

omnibus1 wrote in Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:11 pm:This one is about how I can distinguish the multiple "Custom" assignments in the josytick conf menu. I understand, that I can look up in the joystick xml and with the help of jstest toil out which "Custom" axe and button means what. But can I rename all these "Custom" assignments in the joystick conf menu with speaking names like "Ailleron", "Rudder", "my special button" what so ever?

I think the "custom" might be used where there are bindings using embedded scripts written in FlightGear's Nasal.

While there is a bit of a learning curve to it, you might find it worth to look into editing the config files.

See also the wiki articles:

Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Return to Flying