Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Keyboard short cuts for MAC users

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Keyboard short cuts for MAC users

Postby kemosabe » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:49 am

Using FG 2020.3. on iMac with OS Big Sur 11.2.2. Would anyone have/share keyboard commands for Mac Users. Some commands work on my Mac, but many on FG's default lists don't work. Thanks.
kemosabe

Re: Keyboard short cuts for MAC users

Postby zakalawe » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:42 pm

Most commands are exactly the same for macOS: which ones are you finding that don't work as expected?

Note any commands using function keys, you may need to do something special depending on your keyboard (eg F12 for radios dialog)
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby tom_nl » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:54 pm

Most PC key reference sheets refer to the 'control' key, with a Mac you usually have to use the 'command' key instead.

As Zakalawe says, sometimes you'll have to press the 'Fn' key to access the function keys.

Hope this helps,

Tom
tom_nl

Postby kemosabe » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:55 pm

Thanks, Zakalawe and Tom. Your posts are reassuring. Not in the "cockpit" right now, so we'll see if I can get a better fix on commands. Separately, 1. FG's menu bar appears at top of screen, and is separated from the window for FG itself. Is this new feature? 2. Clicking Reset in FG menu does nothing. I found Shift + Escape to be a workaround.
kemosabe

Postby zakalawe » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:26 pm

- Not sure why Reset menu item is weird, especially if Shift-escape works. I tend to use shift-escape habitually, maybe something is messed up indeed.
- We use the native menubar on macOS, because, well, it's mac ;) So it's separated and does auto-hiding when you select full-screen mode. Basically should work the same as any other macOS application.
- 'Control' should be used within FG (we don't remap Ctrl to Command) : maybe that's where you have a problem? Eg to select the first view it's 'Ctrl-V' : *not* command-V

(In the launcher, we do use regular macOS shortcuts with command, however)
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby kemosabe » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:29 pm

Thanks for quick response. I will fly some more now and see if I can pinpoint issues (if any) with shortcut keys.
kemosabe

Postby asr » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:51 am

Other than the usual reversers binding on some aircraft, I don’t remember any keyboard issues from the Mac.

You just need to remember to use the Fn key for the F1..F12 keys (or change the setting in your mac and make those the default).

For the reversers you’ll need Fn+Backspace because this is bound to the Del key which mac doesn’t have.

Other than that, Option is Alt, and Control is Control. The Command key is not used by Flightgear.
asr

Postby kemosabe » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:01 am

Thanks all. With all this help, I ought to be able to get C172 off the runway :)
kemosabe

Postby kemosabe » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:24 pm

OK. I have read above, and have flown C172P a few more times.
On my Mac keyboard w/ numpad, the P key does work to pause sim. x/X andv/V & CNTL + V also work. So some things do work for Mac keyboards.
On the other hand, some things don't.
To see hotspots in cockpit, CONTL + C does not work; instead I had to "enter" in numpad.
FG Short Reference says "5" on Numlock will center aileron/elevator/rudder. That doesn't seem to work. In fact, none of the keys on my numpad work. I tried "CLEAR" to turn on/off. No luck.
kemosabe

Postby awen » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:06 am

kemosabe wrote in Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:24 pm:To see hotspots in cockpit, CONTL + C does not work; instead I had to "enter" in numpad.
FG Short Reference says "5" on Numlock will center aileron/elevator/rudder. That doesn't seem to work. In fact, none of the keys on my numpad work. I tried "CLEAR" to turn on/off. No luck.

It is exactly the same for me. And I always wanted to know if I can custom control keys, especially when I do not have the numeric pad on my smaller keyboard. Also I want to call out the new canvas map with some keys, instead of CTRL+M for the old map.
awen

Version: 2020.4.0

Return to Flying