Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Focke Wulf 190 spinning in runway

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Focke Wulf 190 spinning in runway

Postby agathosdaimon » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:24 am

Hi
i loaded up the FW 190 from Detlef Faber and start it on the runway, but as soon as the sim starts, the plane is just spinning on the runway, i can only make the spinning stop if i put teh parking brake on - i guess it started with the parking brake off
- is this an issue with the model or am i not doing some key thing to avoid this happening. i thought maybe there is wind blowing or somethng but the plane is just not moving in any direction apart from spinning, even with the throttle 100%
agathosdaimon

Re: Focke Wulf 190 spinning in runway

Postby benih » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:45 pm

Is a brake stuck on one side?
Are there some choks still applied on one wheel?

Probably you should ask Detlef to get a good answer...
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX
Version: next

Postby agathosdaimon » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:18 pm

i can ask Detlef himself? is he on the forum here?
agathosdaimon

Postby agathosdaimon » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:22 am

i notice the tail wheel of the FW is spinning wildly on the spot, while the plane has its park brake on so i am aguessing this erratic behaviour by the tail wheel is causing the spin. Is there a way to stop this or is it a fault with the model or Flightgear?
agathosdaimon

Postby benih » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:11 pm

i can ask Detlef himself? is he on the forum here?

I honestly have no idea - but usually there is some contact info in the aircrafts data dir.

Is there a way to stop this or is it a fault with the model or Flightgear?

Most probably this is a problem with the model.
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX

Postby agathosdaimon » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:04 am

i have tried toggling the tail wheel lock and that does nothing to stop the spinning - changing rudder direction does nother either

honestly, i think this FW-190 A8 is completely unflyable and am out of ideas - i have sent Detlef a pm but no reply yet. It is a shame as its a nice looking model.

can someone else please give this plane a try and tell me if they get the same result? it is available to download from within Flightgear
agathosdaimon

Postby Husky Dynamics » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:25 am

agathosdaimon wrote in Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:04 am:can someone else please give this plane a try and tell me if they get the same result? it is available to download from within Flightgear

Same thing happens on my end. When the simulation loads the 190 begins to rotate clockwise rather quickly. I was somewhat able to stop the clockwise spin via full left rudder, full throttle, and left brake, but as soon as it straightened out, the fighter started spinning counterclockwise even faster (not from overcorrection).

Also, it appears that the tail wheel lock (if it has one) doesn't seem to function.
Get my custom FG liveries here: https://flightgearhusky.altervista.org/

I'm off at college so I've stopped making liveries (for the time being, at least), but I'm continuing to ensure compatibility for the ones I've already published.
Husky Dynamics

Version: LTS

Postby agathosdaimon » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:31 am

okay thanks for that testing also, so officially its an unplayable one - is there any way to fix this or is it up to the person who made it to do so?
agathosdaimon

Postby WoodSTokk » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:47 am

Found a function in the yasim file.
You must pull the yoke full back to lock the wheel.
But if you ask me, the FDM is bad.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby agathosdaimon » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:55 am

thanks i will try that, though i agree surely having an unlocked tail wheel should not cause a plane spin in circles constantly
agathosdaimon

Postby danielHL » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:40 pm

If you pull back the stick until the tail starts to rise during takeoff roll you can keep it on the centerline. Use the rudder pedals extensively and slowly add power. Parking brakes need to be applied after sim startup.

Yes, it's again an example of a Yasim edge case - probably way overpowered with a high-torque high-rpm turbocharged piston engine. Also the conventional gear configuration is problematic in almost any FDM. For comparison: is there any JSBSim taildragger that behaves reasonably on the ground? Until now I found some Yasim taildraggers that were somewhat "okay" (like the DC-3) but no JSBSim one...
danielHL / D-FMPW
danielHL

Callsign: D-FMPW

Postby agathosdaimon » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:07 am

interesting, but i wonder is this problem only occurring now with the current FG versions? i cant see anyone bringing it up in the forums before, instead i think i saw some post about some other in flight query so i presumed before everyone was getting it off the ground okay
agathosdaimon

Postby dilbert » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:43 pm

Yes it has the problem you describe. Suggest you try the Hawker Hurricane, instead, if you haven't already done so. It works pretty well.
The primer is under the dash to the right. The throttle displays its %, if you hold the mouse on it; and the engine cranks ok.
I had a problem closing the canopy using f alone; but if I pressed d first, then f, it closed right up; after which it opened and closed with f/F.
Regards :)
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Return to Flying