Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Flightgear as Educational Tool

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Flightgear as Educational Tool

Postby RussL » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:24 pm

Thanks to all for the responses to my previous post.
I'm working on a project to use Flightgear as an educational tool for math and science. I want to make the program fun while not learning bad habits.
The target age range is 10 - 18 years.
I wish to teach a mechanical computer than an electronic. I learned the CPU-26A/P many years ago to do vector math for electronics. But time change.
Does anyone have experience teaching the E6B or CR3 or similar to the age group?
RussL

Re: Flightgear as Educational Tool

Postby Hooray » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:32 pm

Speaking in general, adding a GUI dialog to display/animate an E6B would be fairly easy using the Canvas system and Nasal actually. All you'd need is a vector graphics file (SVG) and then load that inside a GUI dialog.
In turn, that could be added to the built-in tutorial system.

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Canvas_Snippets
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Re: Flightgear as Educational Tool

Postby Johan G » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:26 pm

If you have an android phone there is a couple of good graphical E6B apps. The two I have tested myself are:

If you have a pad E6B Basic Flight Computer by MICRI Consult, might be of interest. I have not tested it myself, but it seem to be very educational with step by step guides.

Drawing the wind triangle on a gridded paper might be a good introduction to the vector calculations. Personally I have found a preference for the CR type calculators, due to only being made of rotating discs and being slightly more easy to use when one hand is busy with the controls, but I have unfortunately also found their wind side harder to learn as well as to remember.

I would guess that there are similar apps for iPhones as well.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Return to Flying