Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Attitude Indicator Not Working Properly

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Attitude Indicator Not Working Properly

Postby Kaosiia » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:27 pm

Hello,

So I finally got all my flight instruments to work properly except for the Artificial horizon (Attitude Indicator). What I mean is the Attitude Indicator is way different from what the horizon out the window is showing. For some reason it is moving funky.

If you look at the link below, I have attached a picture of what I mean. Notice in the Attitude Indicator, although it is moving it is not making any sense. Does anyone know how to fix this problem and have the Attitude indicator mirror the out of the window horizon view? So it makes sense? Thank you so much.

https://imgur.com/MBKazMF
Kaosiia

Re: Attitude Indicator Not Working Properly

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:40 pm

have you clicked the button at the bottom of the attitude indicator to uncage it?? ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Kaosiia » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:55 pm

Hey, thanks for the response. What button at the bottom of the attitude indicator are you referring to?

It also acts that way when I use panel in browser....
Kaosiia

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:48 pm

look at your image... right below the bottom center of the blue/black attitude ball, there's a button/knob... it cages/releases the attitude indicator... you have to have it released so the ball can float properly... the cage holds it in a safe position so it doesn't get damaged...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby ludomotico » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:12 pm

HI Kaosiia,

The AI is modeled as the real instrument, and it also simulates its errors and limitations. Check, for example: https://www.cfinotebook.net/notebook/av ... -indicator

The AI is unreliable during and after acrobatics, and if the vacuum system doesn’t work for a while (for example, you close the throttle for a step descend). Sometimes, it is locked right after starting the engine.

Check the AI: just below it there is a button you must pull to unlock the AI. In a real aircraft, this button is pulled (not pushed), but in FlightGear this is simulated with a left click of your mouse :D

You pull this button in a real aircraft and, as a result, in FlightGear:

- As part of the pre-flight procedure, while you are testing all the instruments.
- During the flight, right after any “acrobatic” maneuver when you are again in a leveled attitude.
- During the flight, if you close the throttle the vacuum system won’t work and the internal mechanism in the AI slowly stops. Uncage the AI when you have again full power and leveled attitude.
- During the flight, even if no special maneuvers or the throttle position didn’t change, about once an hour.
Last edited by ludomotico on Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby ludomotico » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:26 pm

Also, the vacuum system and then the AI won’t work if the engine is not running... Even if you start the engine again, the AI might be already caged.

There is a small dial to check the state of the vacuum system. In your image, it is the small dial left of the clock. It was working when you took the photograph, but... was it working a few minutes before?

BTW, if you prefer, press F3 (if I recall correctly) to take a snapshot of the screen.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Return to Flying