Board index FlightGear Support Flying

ATC New player help

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

ATC New player help

Postby SOmeNoOb998 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:54 pm

Like the title says, I am completely new. I am a 13 y/o who just downloaded FlightGear. I know a few things about ATC, but I want to fully understand them. Is there some kind of tutorial for ATC, or do I have to read an entire FAA Manual?
SOmeNoOb998

Re: ATC New player help

Postby Johan G » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:37 pm

Welcome to the forum and to FlightGear! :D

As for phraseology I think you will get a long way with this FlightGear wiki article: ATC phraseology (permalink).

Edit: Moved non-ATC stuff to a post in your other topic.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby SurferTim » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:41 am

You don't need to know the entire FAA manual, but you should be aware of the separation standards for your environment.
En route facilities separation is 5 miles laterally or 1000' vertically. Approach facilities is 3 miles laterally.
The most difficult part for me was memorizing the airspace. All airways, approaches, and departures with minimum altitudes for each segment. At Los Angeles, they give you a week to memorize the entire center airspace. Then they hand you a blank piece of paper and you must draw the entire center airspace with airways and MEAs.
I got pretty good at it after a couple years full time. I was an on-the-job instructor at Los Angeles ARTCC for several years.
The best advice I can give you is stay calm. Pilots don't like to hear panic in an ATC voice.
Fly low. Fly slow. Land on a dime. Twin Otter. https://github.com/SurferTim/dhc6p
My other aircraft is a Citation-X https://github.com/SurferTim/CitationX
PirateAir videos at https://www.youtube.com/user/SurferTim850
SurferTim

Callsign: Pirate
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Johan G » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:39 pm

SurferTim wrote in Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:41 am:Pilots don't like to hear panic in an ATC voice.

What always impresses me about audio recordings of both pilots and ATC is that, while there can some times be a sour tone when someone is unhappy with things or somebody have messed up, you extremely rarely hear any panic from each side even if both engines are out.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Return to Flying