Board index FlightGear Support Flying

New player help and tips

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

New player help and tips

Postby SOmeNoOb998 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:41 pm

Hello, I am a 13 y/o who just downloaded FlightGear 2 days ago. I have been messing with the Cessna 172 and it was pretty good. But, the problem is, I don't know where to start. Sure, I did do some of the tutorials in order, but there were a few glitches. In the taxiing tutorial, I CANNOT make the plane move. I have removed the parking brake, tie downs, regular brake, gear chocks, and the joystick lock. Even at 100% power, the plane does not move an inch. The same goes for the Takeoff tutorial. I cannot move or budge. I skipped to the landing tutorial, but it infuriated me. The flight instructor keeps repeating the same "Reduce throttle to 50%, and extend your first degree of flaps." She kept repeating it over again. Then I felt that if all tutorials were like this, then I would not learn how to fly a cessna.

Do you guys have any tips, or anything to say about the tutorials? I just wanna know how to fly a cessna and then move to the larger jets. Help please?

Also, any tips for new players? How do get a good start in FlightGear?

P.S. Sorry for so many questions.
SOmeNoOb998

Re: New player help and tips

Postby danielHL » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:53 pm

Hi, welcome to flightgear.

I don't use tutorials that much, but the C172 developers will certainly help you soon. One detail you left out is which version of flightgear you are using?

When I tried to use the taxi or takeoff tutorials, I noticed that the engine wasn't running in spite of the tutorial saying it was already on. Also, my sim was on pause - try to hit "p" on the keyboard and see if that helps? But without a running engine, the plane wouldn't move, so that's to be expected. This seems to show that the tutorial has a bug, maybe?

As a new pilot, it is certainly good to try the default C172 and the tutorials first (once they work correctly of course). If you find flying the Cessna too "fiddly" on rudder and pitch, as I do, then I'd like to point you to the "Piper PA28-161 Warrior II" (make sure to enable the default fgaddon hangar on the Add-ons-Tab) that you can download in the launcher. It is not as complete on the tutorials as the Cessna, but in my opinion it flies nicer and easier...
danielHL / D-FMPW
danielHL

Callsign: D-FMPW
Version: next

Postby ludomotico » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:39 pm

The tutorial is automatically created from the checklists and cannot guess all the context you might have configured. For example, if you are on grass or a dirty surface, you'll need much more power than normal to start moving.

In any case, if your engine is running, no brakes are applied, gears are present (i.e: not crashed, not using floaters on asphalt...) and there are not any other physical blocks, you should start moving. If the engine is running, change to the external view (press v) and check there is not anything wrong... If the aircraft seems it wants to start moving but it seems something if holding it, check again your brakes.

Also, try NOT using the tutorials, select any airport and "auto start" (in the menu). Once you can takeoff and have crashed several times, use tutorials.

Also, providing a tutorial for landing is extremely difficult. For example, I don't agree with "Reduce throttle to 50%, and extend your first degree of flaps." You must configure your plane for approaching at 60-70 knots. This will involve nearly always flaps, and nearly never a throttle to 50%. I don't think there is enough time while landing to take a tutorial since there are too many things to do and a very short time, so try any Youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlLwxj8fxlY ) or real life manual (https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policie ... _handbook/ )

Event if the C172P includes checklists (in the menu), it is a good idea to print a version and have them next to your PC. For example: https://www.aerodynamicaviation.com/wp- ... cklist.pdf Notice how the "before landing" section does not say anything about throttle: it is "as required". Also, to start our C172, you need primming 3-5 times.

(Some of us never moved to the larger jets: the C172P is VERY fun to fly)
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby Johan G » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:05 pm

There is a lot of good general aviation tutorials available on YouTube.

If you are new to flight simulators or want to be really good at the flying, these two free FAA manuals will help immensely:

If you want to get deep into it at some later point there is also these two:

• Code 7700 by "Eddie" - Hard to beat when it comes to navigation procedures and crew resource management (CRM), in particular in relation to business jets.
  • See How It Flies by John S. Denker - I have heard that this is a great resource
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.2

Postby wlbragg » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:48 pm

My apologies, there is a glitch in the most recent version of the c172p. The brake is stuck on whenever the FG system does any kind of reset/reinit such as starting a tutorial. Once in the tutorial go into the aircraft menu Cessna c172p then Aircraft Options then uncheck Enable damage. Give it just a second and it will than allow the aircraft to move. I think you can turn damage back on after that and it will still work correctly.
I am sorry for the frustration it has caused you. I have to do some other work on the aircraft regarding the tanks and will try to fix this at the same time.
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby watercooled » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:37 pm

Hey Guys,
i also have an issue with a tutorial.
Ive had a lot of problems before, but they were caused by the impossibility to use flightgear without a mouse and without a keypad. So I bought a Razerlaptop with a high precision touchpad, that allows scrolling actions. In addition the Razer software is capable of mapping certain keys. So Im quite happy with that.
But in the Taxiing-Tutorial I cant get beyond a certain step. It wants me to cross the inactive runway wich i did. But the tutorial repeated the step endlessly.
Can anybody helb me with that? Is there a possibility to skip a certain step, although the program doesnt think the actual step was successfully completed?
Greets and Thanks
watercooled

Postby wlbragg » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:55 am

Well, unfortunately we may have a serious regression in the tutorials overall. I just tried a couple that i know were working the last time I checked them because i was the one that created them. There seems to be a major bug possibly affecting all the tutorials. Maybe someone experienced with FG can help verify this withj me so I can start a discussion on the mailing list.
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby dilbert » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:35 am

If you want to get flying, upload from the addon hangar a simple plane like the PA18-the plain vanilla version, not the 161; and use autostart. It's uncomplicated, performs well, and will save you a lot of initial frustration.
Also, starting with a simple plane is helpful in becoming familiar with all the available features of FlightGear in the F10 overhead menu.
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.2

Postby alexpilot » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:40 pm

SOmeNoOb998 wrote in Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:41 pm:Hello, I am a 13 y/o who just downloaded FlightGear 2 days ago. I have been messing with the Cessna 172 and it was pretty good. But, the problem is, I don't know where to start. Sure, I did do some of the tutorials in order, but there were a few glitches. In the taxiing tutorial, I CANNOT make the plane move. I have removed the parking brake, tie downs, regular brake, gear chocks, and the joystick lock. Even at 100% power, the plane does not move an inch. The same goes for the Takeoff tutorial. I cannot move or budge. I skipped to the landing tutorial, but it infuriated me. The flight instructor keeps repeating the same "Reduce throttle to 50%, and extend your first degree of flaps." She kept repeating it over again. Then I felt that if all tutorials were like this, then I would not learn how to fly a cessna.

Do you guys have any tips, or anything to say about the tutorials? I just wanna know how to fly a cessna and then move to the larger jets. Help please?

Also, any tips for new players? How do get a good start in FlightGear?

P.S. Sorry for so many questions.

In your shoes, I'd look forward a checklist for the aircraft.
alexpilot

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:53 pm

when you are in-sim, hit the F10 key to bring up the menu bar at the top of the screen... on the right hand end you will generally find craft specific options... there's also a Help menu... in there you will find the checklists for the craft (if the craft devs created any)... the c172p definitely has checklists and there's also a PoH in the pilot's side door pocket, IIRC...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby FlightFlight » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:47 am

I have installed fgfs 2020.3.2 in linux but the screen are only dark brown to red. How do i fix this?
FlightFlight

Postby Johan G » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:02 pm

Do you see a menu on the top of the screen?
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.2

Postby FlightFlight » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:30 pm

No and F10 cant show the menu.
FlightFlight

Postby FlightFlight » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:33 pm

I have attached a screenshot of how it looks here:

When I move the mouse in the gray window, the color changes from gray/brown nuances. (entire window is same color).

I use FGFS from AppImage.

Below is the log from the terminal when I run FGFS for a while and close it down again.

Code: Select all
~$ ~/AppImage/FlightGear/FlightGear-2020.3.2-x86_64.AppImage
SIMGEAR_TLS_CERT_PATH=/tmp/.mount_FlightLHCQkr/usr/ssl/cacert.pem
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/tmp/.mount_FlightLHCQkr/usr/lib:
Now checking for plug-in osgPlugins-3.4.2/osgdb_nvtt.so
    0.79 [WARN]:general    Enabling ATI/AMD viewport hack
    0.95 [INFO]:terrasync  Starting automatic scenery download/synchronization to '/home/ahd/.fgfs/TerraSync'.
   13.32 [INFO]:nasal      Request detected to initialize Advanced Weather on startup...
   13.49 [INFO]:nasal      Loading local weather routines...
   13.66 [INFO]:nasal      KMA20 audio panel initialized
   13.66 [INFO]:nasal      Hobbs system stopped
   13.66 [INFO]:nasal      Hobbs system stopped
   13.66 [INFO]:nasal      Starter off
   13.66 [INFO]:nasal      KI266 dme indicator #0 initialized
   13.67 [INFO]:nasal      Electrical system initialized
   13.72 [INFO]:nasal      Astro Tech LC-2 Chronometer Loaded
   18.97 [INFO]:nasal      Primer reset to 0
   19.45 [ALRT]:flight     Failed to save initial FDM property state
   21.03 [INFO]:OSG       
   21.03 [WARN]:OSG        PNG lib warning : Malformed iTXt chunk
   21.06 [WARN]:OSG        PNG lib warning : Malformed iTXt chunk
   22.14 [WARN]:OSG        osgDB ac3d reader: detected surface with less than 3 vertices!
   22.14 [WARN]:OSG        osgDB ac3d reader: detected surface with less than 3 vertices!
   23.92 [INFO]:nasal      Starting hard-coded terrain presampling
   27.05 [INFO]:nasal      Garmin 196 loading cities
   27.78 [INFO]:nasal      Garmin 196 loading cities done
   28.04 [INFO]:nasal      Terrain presampling analysis results:
   28.04 [INFO]:nasal      total: 746 mean: 40.88471849865952 median: 0 min: 0 alt_20: 0
   28.04 [INFO]:nasal      Presampling done!
   28.06 [INFO]:nasal      Finished setting up tile type METAR in direction 4
   28.06 [INFO]:nasal      Cloud placement from array finished!
   32.29 [INFO]:nasal      Processing add-cloud calls finished!
AL lib: (WW) FreeDevice: (0x43e5590) Deleting 20 Buffer(s)

Also: I am wondering why there does not seem to be an FGFS Launcher in the AppImage version. Is it possible to get a FlightGear Launcher for the 2020 version?
FlightFlight

Postby FlightFlight » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:46 pm

OK. I just found out that I can run the AppImage with --launcher to get the launcher.

I tried flying once again, but immediately when it starts the game the same gray screen appears.

This is the log when I added -v for extra verbosity:

Code: Select all
~$ ~/AppImage/FlightGear/FlightGear-2020.3.2-x86_64.AppImage  -v --launcher
SIMGEAR_TLS_CERT_PATH=/tmp/.mount_Flight4UEJSG/usr/ssl/cacert.pem
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/tmp/.mount_Flight4UEJSG/usr/lib:
   17.28 :1: [WARN]:gui        <Unknown File>: QML StateGroup: Can't apply a state change as part of a state definition.
   20.73 [WARN]:aircraft   Aircraft does not specify a minimum FG version: please add one at /sim/minimum-fg-version
Now checking for plug-in osgPlugins-3.4.2/osgdb_nvtt.so
   21.27 [WARN]:general    Enabling ATI/AMD viewport hack
   21.40 [INFO]:terrasync  Starting automatic scenery download/synchronization to '/home/ahd/.fgfs/TerraSync'.
   21.41 [INFO]:general    Requested to start on BIKF/28, MP is enabled so computing hold short position to avoid runway incursion
   23.18 [INFO]:network    Multiplayer mode active
   24.41 [INFO]:nasal      Request detected to initialize Advanced Weather on startup...
   24.56 [INFO]:nasal      Loading local weather routines...
   25.83 [INFO]:general    Requested to start on BIKF/28, MP is enabled so computing hold short position to avoid runway incursion
YASim warning: possible convergence problem.
   29.98 [INFO]:nasal      Electrical System ... ok
   29.98 [INFO]:nasal      Flight Director ...Check
   30.71 [INFO]:nasal      Starting hard-coded terrain presampling
   30.86 [INFO]:nasal      Terrain presampling analysis results:
   30.86 [INFO]:nasal      total: 232 mean: 71.12068965517241 median: 0 min: 0 alt_20: 0
   30.86 [INFO]:nasal      Presampling done!
   30.88 [INFO]:nasal      Finished setting up tile type METAR in direction 4
   30.88 [INFO]:nasal      Cloud placement from array finished!
   31.92 [INFO]:OSG       
   31.92 [WARN]:OSG        PNG lib warning : Malformed iTXt chunk
   31.95 [WARN]:OSG        PNG lib warning : Malformed iTXt chunk
   34.21 [INFO]:nasal      Processing add-cloud calls finished!

FlightFlight

Next

Return to Flying