Board index FlightGear Support Flying

FG configuration tuning for landing training

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

FG configuration tuning for landing training

Postby paloc » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:19 pm

Hello,

I'm new here, just registered on the forum.

Several years ago I tried FG for landing training. But I couldn't get it to work as I wanted because some annoying limitations (see points below), I then thought these were just small bugs and I better wait until they are corrected, finally I later bought X-Plane. However FG has some interesting features (and is apparently less hadware demanding compared to XPlane) therefore I recently installed the latest version thinking these problems would be corrected. But the behavior is exactly the same and I come to the conclusion that maybe I'm missing something. Here are the points:

1) I need a fine adjustment of the view position to have exactly the same view as in the real plane (especially the vertical position). The menu "Adjust View Position" does this with three knobs but they are so sensitive that they move the position by meters at the least mouse move. I need a cm resolution, how to do that ?
I also tried to edit the c172p-views.xml file to change the default settings but my modification gets overwritten on startup.

2) For landing training I need to start simulation with airplane positioned in flight, on runway approach. But it will always start with a cold start configuration, engine shut down. The time to fiddle with mixture adjustment etc. I already crashed :lol:
Is there a way to start with engine running ?

FG2018.3.5, Windows 7

Thanks.
paloc

Re: FG configuration tuning for landing training

Postby wlbragg » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:17 am

The current c172p has both a user defined persistent view position and either a start on approach state or stat with engine running that can be configured to an approach startup scenario. I'm not at my computer right now but will provide details later when I am at my computer.
I think the c182 also has a nice approach startup stat available.
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Johan G » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:51 pm

paloc wrote in Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:19 pm:1) I need a fine adjustment of the view position to have exactly the same view as in the real plane (especially the vertical position). The menu "Adjust View Position" does this with three knobs but they are so sensitive that they move the position by meters at the least mouse move. I need a cm resolution, how to do that ?

IIRC you can drag the view with the right mouse button.

Edit: WoodStock got that right a few posts down. Sorry. :oops:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby paloc » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:08 pm

Johan G wrote in Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:51 pm:IIRC you can drag the view with the right mouse button.

Yes but this is not the same: the right button adjusts the view angle but not the position. Basically what I want is to adjust the vertical position (the seat height in some sense) so that the part of the landscape hidden by the cockpit panel (and possibly the aircraft nose) is the same as experienced in the real aircraft.
paloc

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:31 am

in the sim, hit F10 and find the view menus... in there you'll find a dialog that allows you to adjust your position... three knobs is what it used to be... you'll have to set it every time unless a craft has seat movement modeled and built in...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby WoodSTokk » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:09 am

Press and hold 'CTRL' and the right mouse button to adjust the camera left/right and height.
If you press the middle and right mouse button while 'CTRL', you can also adjust forward/backward.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: OE-WST
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.3.0

Postby wlbragg » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:02 am

1) I need a fine adjustment of the view position to have exactly the same view as in the real plane (especially the vertical position). The menu "Adjust View Position" does this with three knobs but they are so sensitive that they move the position by meters at the least mouse move. I need a cm resolution, how to do that ?
I also tried to edit the c172p-views.xml file to change the default settings but my modification gets overwritten on startup.

The c172p is about the only aircraft I know of in FG that has an adjustable user defined seat position that is persistent across sessions. See "Aircraft Help".

This position was created using the keys per the help instruction and it loads the same view every time I start up. Including during an Approach state startup.

For landing training I need to start simulation with airplane positioned in flight, on runway approach. But it will always start with a cold start configuration, engine shut down. The time to fiddle with mixture adjustment etc. I already crashed :lol:
Is there a way to start with engine running ?

You may need a more current version of the aircraft to get these features?
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby I-PIC68 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:07 am

WoodSTokk wrote in Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:09 am:Press and hold 'CTRL' and the right mouse button to adjust the camera left/right and height.
If you press the middle and right mouse button while 'CTRL', you can also adjust forward/backward.

Thank WoodSTokk. I didn't know the function "middle, right button, CTRL" for forward/backward.
Aircraft: Boeing 777-300ER
I-PIC68

Callsign: I-PIC68
Version: 2020.1.1

Postby paloc » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:11 pm

Thank you all!

WoodSTokk wrote in Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:09 am:Press and hold 'CTRL' and the right mouse button to adjust the camera left/right and height.

Ah, it's so simple and it works great, thanks !

@wlbragg
The c172p is about the only aircraft I know of in FG that has an adjustable user defined seat position that is persistent across sessions. See "Aircraft Help".

I don't see the same menu, will dowload the latest version.

You may need a more current version of the aircraft to get these features?

OK, I had missed this option because I have been trying a different aircraft, now I understand the warm start feature is related to the model and exists at least for Cessna.
paloc

Return to Flying