Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Airports

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Airports

Postby davey110 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:33 pm

I have only found 2 airports where FG will actually work - Honolulu and Hilo. At any other airport I have tried the program starts up with the plane upside down on the runway, or the controls don't work, or the engine revs up but the plane will not move, or it is on the ground but 10 miles from the airport, and such things. (I have tried San Francisco, Puerto Vallarta, & Ottawa Canada). Sometimes Autostart won't work - it says I have to lean the mixture, but doing so still won't Autostart. I am using the Cessna 172P, which, BTW, is the only plane I have gotten to work. (I tried Citation Jet & one other small jet, but no go).
At Honolulu & Hilo everything works fine (with the 172P only).
Any ideas where my problem is?
davey110

Re: Airports

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:54 pm

not without seeing the fgfs.log file from a failed session...

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Commonly_used_debugging_tools#Finding_fgfs.log
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby davey110 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:14 pm

I don't know how to read fgfs.log, but I can't see anything that looks relevant. And no date or time is recorded. What should I look for? I could post a few lines of it.
But the sessions don't actually fail - I just have to Exit because nothing is working.
davey110

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:10 pm

post the log on pastebin and give us a link... if it is too long for pastebin, post it there in sections of similar length and post the link for each part...

those of us attempting to assist you know how to read it ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby davey110 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:43 pm

I posted the log file at https://pastebin.com/hJfrvL7C The last few flights will be the problem ones.
Sorry - I haven't figured out how to give the post a title.

BTW is FG a 32 or 64 bit program? ie Should it be in Program Files or Program Files (x86). Could that be the problem? (I have it in Program Files).
Thanks for any help you can suggest.
davey110

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:24 am

ok... hummm... last question first, FG should install where it is appropriate... i think that we're only building 64bit these days but i could be wrong about that... it doesn't have anything to do with your problem(s), though...

ok, now... first i see that you've installed 2019.1.1 and you appear to have manually added, twice, the old 2018.2.2 path to your aircraft paths in the addons section of the launcher... remove those, first... you should not have to add the default aircraft directory like that...

in the log, it shows that it selected mpserver16.flightgear.org as the scenery server to update from on that date... later the log shows this
Code: Select all
failed to update repository:https://mpserver16.flightgear.org/scenery/Airports/L
    checksum failure for: Path "B/S"
    this typically indicates the remote repository is corrupt or was being updated during the sync

which means that you don't have all the necessary scenery data... we need to figure out what is happening here but i do not thing it is something to do with your setup...

instead, let's start fresh... uninstall your existing 2019.1.1 and install 2019.1.2 from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/flightgear/files/release-2019.1/ and make sure you remove those old paths from the addons section of the launcher...

once you have FG 2019.1.2 installed, load up with the c172p at the default airport... i think that's still PHTO... just load up... don't do anything... exit back out and post that log file to paste bin with a link here... once you've posted that log, maybe try loading again and using the autostart to see if the craft will start for you... i see some other errors in the log but i want to see if they are still there with the new version of FG and the craft...

[edit] corrected link to point to 2019.1 instead of 2020.1
Last edited by wkitty42 on Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby davey110 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:22 am

Ok- I have installed FG 2019.1.2. I found a Readme file that says I must have the "base package",which I did not install the lat time. (Could that have been the problem?) Where can I find it?
It also says there is more install info in the "docs-mini" folder, which I do not seem to have. Would it be useful? Where is it?
davey110

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:24 pm

i don't know... i thought that the exe in that directory would have the whole thing you need but i didn't look at the file sizes, either... the "base package" is fgdata, i think... you should be able to find it there on the same page... one of the matching *-data.tar.bz2 files, i guess...

or you could make it easier on yourself, i suppose, and go with one of the nightlies from http://download.flightgear.org/builds/nightly/ where you'd get one of the "*-nightly-full.exe" files... that should have everything needed... the problem here is that these are bleeding edge code and there are very likely to be defects in place... so you might not want to do this way at all...

i just wanted to help you solve your problem but it appears that your FG is in a bit of a mixed up indeterminate state... that has to be fixed first... i'm starting to suspect a complete uninstall and manual removal of leftover data in %appdata% is going to be needed... the stuff in your documents directory should be ok but might have to go, too... i dunno, now...

did i mention that i stopped supporting winwhatever as a profession years ago? what am i doing here :shock:
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby davey110 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:38 pm

Here is the link to the README (referring to base package) that was in the FG download:
https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fg ... ree/README

Here is all I can find about “base package”:
https://sourceforge.net/directory/os:wi ... se+package

Nothing there looks relevant. What happens if I run FG as-is, without the base package? Should I click “Fly” before pasting the log file?

I also noticed that there was a FG 2018 file in my Downloads folder when I deleted the program. I don’t know where it came from – perhaps when I downloaded the extra airports or planes (which I did from within FG).
davey110

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:04 pm

the base package is what is known as FGData...

but this confuses me, now... which file, exactly, did you get for your 2019.1.2??? this one, FlightGear-2019.1.2-rc.exe is 1.8Gig in size and should contain everything you need without needing to download any other files for the basic FG installation...

yes, i'd remove all the old 2018 stuff just to clear out old stuff so it doesn't confuse us/things...

yes, you need to click fly to exit the launcher and load the sim... then exit the sim and link the log file on pastebin...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby davey110 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:34 pm

Ah - the file I got is just FlightGear-2019.1.2.exe I didn't know which one I needed.
I'll go back to square 1, uninstall that & install FlightGear-2019.1.2-rc.exe.
davey110

Postby davey110 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:57 pm

OK I installed the file you mentioned. I opened it & did not do any more, then exited & pasted the log file to
https://pastebin.com/35FEuWL4

A couple funny things:
-It went directly to the Cessna cockpit view - it did not show the Airports/Aircraft/Fly selection screen
-It did not create a Desktop icon, even though I had checked the box on the install screen
-It took me a while to find the fgfs.exe file. I ran the Runfgfs.bat file, but it could not find \bin\fgfs.exe Is this related to the missing desktop icon? (I made an icon manually).
davey110

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:37 pm

davey110 wrote in Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:57 pm:OK I installed the file you mentioned. I opened it & did not do any more, then exited & pasted the log file to
https://pastebin.com/35FEuWL4

a quick 2 minute scan of that log looks good...

davey110 wrote in Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:57 pm:A couple funny things:
-It went directly to the Cessna cockpit view - it did not show the Airports/Aircraft/Fly selection screen
-It did not create a Desktop icon, even though I had checked the box on the install screen
-It took me a while to find the fgfs.exe file. I ran the Runfgfs.bat file, but it could not find \bin\fgfs.exe Is this related to the missing desktop icon? (I made an icon manually).

i don't know why it didn't create the icon for you... add "--launcher" to your desktop icon's command line options...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby davey110 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:39 am

I added "--launcher" so now it gives the Airports/Aircraft/Fly screen. I after that I tried Honolulu & SanFrancisco & they seem fine. Will try some others as well. Changing airports from the Menu bar on the cockpit view screen did not seem to work. Controls worked, got 2000 rpm, but plane would not move. Had to restart then it was ok.
Seems good now - perhaps even easier to control the plane. Will see when I reload my Joystick.xml. (I saved a copy before deleting the old version).
Thank you for all your help. I learned a few things.
davey110

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:13 pm

i'm glad it is working for you, now...

changing airports will take some time for terrasync to download the scenery if you don't already have it... be sure that you have enabled terrasync in the launcher OR use terramaster or terrasync.py to download the scenery you want to fly in...

i, too, learned a few things :mrgreen:

PRO TIPs:

• point terramaster/terrasync.py to the same terrasync directory that FG uses... this way both can be used to manage the scenery...

• if you turn off terrasync in the launcher (removes some burden from FG), be sure you have added the terrasync directory to
    the launcher's addons section's scenery paths...

• be sure to keep the terrasync directory at the bottom of the list so it will be used as the final fallback location to be looked in
    for scenery you don't already have...
    in other words, list custom scenery above the terrasync directory so the custom scenery will be found and used first...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Next

Return to Flying