Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Problems with Spitfire IIa

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Problems with Spitfire IIa

Postby Aether » Sat May 16, 2020 8:24 am

During loading FG alerts a warning stating that drag > lift and that the plane might not fly properly.

I can get it to taxi, but I cannot get enough lift to take-off. At a certain speed the plane rotates on the ground and comes to halt. Any ideas?

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Supermarine_Spitfire
Aether

Re: Problems with Spitfire IIa

Postby dilbert » Sun May 17, 2020 6:33 pm

Think the error the error message has been around awhile. Doing a ctrl, alt, delete, and clicking ok gets around it, if loading hangs up.

I found similar problems with the MK5b (which it didn't used to have), though starting was always a bit persnickety- you had to set throttle on exactly 30%, using the mouse. Not flyable now, as you noted.

You might try the MK IX, for, the time being.

It has auto start; but shares a recent spin in place problem with the dhc2 and J3, seemingly introduced by recent JSBsim changes.

Fortunately, that can be managed by locking and keeping the tailwheel locked. To taxi, use low throttle; and steer with toe brakes (keyboard < and >).

Used to fly well, but difficult to handle now.

A better bet may be the Hawker Hurricaine, which seems to have retained some of its original fdm, and is more flyable.

Regards
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 2018.3.5

Postby Aether » Sun May 24, 2020 9:21 am

Thank you.

I found the IIa starts with throttle set to exactly 33%, and will take-off with throttle around 25%. Once in the air the throttle seemed to impact only stability - not speed.

At 0% or 100% the IIa continuously climbed. From 3000ft and I decided the IIa isn't for me and attempted to land against the uncontrolled acceleration. That did not end well.
Aether

Postby wkitty42 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:59 am

sounds like the craft's FDM needs some loving...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Flying