Board index FlightGear Support Flying

joystick sensibility

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

joystick sensibility

Postby i8cee » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:30 am

Hi, I'm using FG and really a good simulator, I use a logitech extreme 3D joystic, everything works well.
Just a big problem, the joystick is too sensitive, really nervous, is it possible to reduce the sensitivity in some way, in my case lower it, perhaps by changing some parameter in some file? Or otherwise, sorry for my English. thanks
Sal fron Naples IT :shock:
sorry I forgot.... using Win10 system.
i8cee

Re: joystick sensibility

Postby danielHL » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:15 pm

This is probably intentional. In real aircraft, only very small control inputs are needed for most maneuvers. What's different in a simulator is that there is (most of the time) no force-feedback and so a shaky hand results in flying up and down. So one tip would be to learn and develop a steady hand on the stick. Also, use aileron trim to make small changes.

On the input side you can tweak your joystick configuration in several ways: If the device introduces some fluctuations around the center, maybe a dead band is a solution? If it's too sensitive for small inputs, try a power function by applying <power> tags to the sensitive axes in your joystick xml file. This changes the linear behavior to an exponential function (takes some practice, but I use it too).

Have a look at your HomeDir\FlightGear\Input\ and locate the .xml-files for your joystick. Then read and try this to learn about the power-functions. If you need more help with this simply ask again :)
danielHL / GVA0387 / D-FMPW / (UA83DAN)
danielHL

Callsign: UA83DAN, GVA0387
Version: git

Re: joystick sensibility

Postby oliomedia » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:03 pm

I had the same problem. I found that using the default joystick xml worked better than the bespoke Logitech Extreme 3D xml. I renamed the default file to match the name of the bespoke file, and moved it to replace the bespoke file.
oliomedia

Return to Flying