Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Car based aerotow takeoff - Setup the initial position

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Car based aerotow takeoff - Setup the initial position

Postby kaklik » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:50 am

Hello,

The problem which wants to solve looks like this:

I am trying to initialize the fgfs on the specific initial position. I am using the command line interface option: http://wiki.flightgear.org/images/cache ... rientation

The most basic option which I deduced is:
Code: Select all
fgfs --heading=150 --roll=0 --pitch=0

But unfortunately, the --heading option seems to be ignored and the aircraft or jeep is initialized in the almost same position which is not dependent on heading value (something around 45 deg by default).

I am using ubuntu package FlightGear version: 2019.1.1
kaklik

Re: Car based aerotow takeoff - Setup the initial position

Postby wlbragg » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:08 pm

Is the jeep an AI model? The switch your using should apply to the aircraft, not the jeep. You would need to look at the jeep AI code.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby kaklik » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:16 pm

wlbragg wrote in Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:08 pm:Is the jeep an AI model? The switch your using should apply to the aircraft, not the jeep. You would need to look at the jeep AI code.

The Jeep is controlled in multiplayer mode (http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Do_aer ... er_the_net). The command line parameter does not apply on aircraft either.
kaklik

Postby wlbragg » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:34 pm

OK, then the jeep heading should be controlled using the heading switch by MP X and the aircraft heading by MP Y. But it is possible the heading is being overwritten by code in aircraft and jeep respectively, although that seems unlikely.

How are you getting the aircraft and jeep positioned, using the same type of startup switches, and those are working, just not the heading?
wlbragg

Postby kaklik » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:55 pm

How are you getting the aircraft and jeep positioned, using the same type of startup switches, and those are working, just not the heading?

I made these two "scripts":
https://github.com/ThunderFly-aerospace ... s/TF-G1.sh
https://github.com/ThunderFly-aerospace ... s/TF-R1.sh

--offset-distance=0.50 and --offset-azimuth=100 seems to be working somehow. I commented out these only for debugging the heading parameters.
kaklik

Postby wlbragg » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:59 pm

Can you look at the QT launcher list of all switches being set, it's available somewhere in the launcher. See if there is anything being set that your not overriding. Because I don't see enough line items in your startup scripts to account for all the positioning info, neither lat/lon or airport, etc.? So I am still not understanding how your positioning your crafts at the locations they are loading at?
wlbragg

Postby kaklik » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:47 pm

wlbragg wrote in Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:59 pm:Can you look at the QT launcher list of all switches being set, it's available somewhere in the launcher. See if there is anything being set that your not overriding. Because I don't see enough line items in your startup scripts to account for all the positioning info, neither lat/lon or airport, etc.? So I am still not understanding how your positioning your crafts at the locations they are loading at?

I found that annoying behavior was caused by multiplayer mode activation. But the multiplayer mode is essential to aerotow takeoff. I temporarily solved the issue by positioning each vehicle individually without multiplayer mode active and after that, I could turn-on the multiplayer mode from the menu bar.
It is very inconvenient. But it is doable.

Hopefully, there will be a real solution for that problem in the near future (https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/codetickets/2110/)
kaklik

Return to Flying