Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Can't correct roll to left

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Can't correct roll to left

Postby davey110 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:49 am

I got FG installed ok, but hav never been able to correct the roll to left. Even on the ground I can't stop it from going in circles. The few times I was able to take off, no amount of right-stick would stop the roll. The joystick is working ok - all the controls respond correctly.

I have tried changing aircraft & airports, but then nothing worked, so went back to the default C172 at Honolulu. Now I can't even take off. I can only get 2100 rpm at full throttle &. 40 knots speed. The rudder has practically no effect, even though the controls respond ok. Just runs around in left circles.

I have been reading all about the joystick XML files, but my button settings don't show up in the appropriate XML file. So I am still lacking some understanding in that area.

The js_demo etc. files are not in the download.

I am using FGear 2019.1.1, Windows 10, Microsoft Sidewinder Pro (USB) joystick.

I have been messing with this for 2 weeks now & am ready to give up. HELP!
davey110

Re: Can't correct roll to left

Postby Marsdolphin » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:53 am

Hi,
Does your keyboard and mouse work?
Which aircraft are turning left?
If you are on the ground, try using the rudder.
If you see Tiller Steering in the aircraft menu, use that on the ground.
When you are in the air, use the ailerons to correct the turn.
Regards,
Mars,
"When everything seems to be against you, remember that the planes always takeoff into the wind".

Have fun flying!
Marsdolphin

Callsign: MARS006
Version: 2020.4

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:11 pm

@davey110: i doubt very much the joystick xml files are your problem or the answer to your solution...

have you tried to calibrate your js in your OS control panel?

when you are in the sim, go to F10->File->joystick settings and see if the axes move properly when you move the stick... they should all return to zero when you release the stick and it recenters...

did you install any special software that came with your js? if so, try removing it...

the js_demo executable should be in the same directory as your fgfs.exe but there may not be an icon for it... if you look at your icon for flightgear, you should be able to copy the command line, open the old-style DOS cmd prompt, paste the line into the cmd terminal window, change the end to say "js_demo" instead of "fgfs" and then execute it...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby dilbert » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:17 pm

If you haven't already done so, go to File>Joystick Configuration> in the top menu and click Reset Configuration.
If that doesn't work, you might try the following: Go to C:/Users/{your computer name}/Roaming/flightgear.org/input/Joysticks/ and delete the joystick file contained in the directory (this won't hurt anything as FlightGear will reestablish it with a fresh file when you restart). Restart computer with joystick connected. Then start FlightGear.
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Postby Alant » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:54 pm

On the ground do some pre -flight checks.

The select an outside view and check that the control surfaces are all zero.
Examine the properties in /controls/flight, to see if they are all in agreement.
Move the controls using joystick/mouse or keyboard and check that they move over the full range and can be returned to zero.

In the air you can press "p" to pause the simulation and repeat the above checks.

Hopefully you will see which conreols are causing the problem.

If you suspect the joystick, then unplug it , restart the simulation and do the checks again.

Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Postby Puffergas » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:53 am

Are your controls reversed?
Puffergas

Postby lupo » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:52 pm

It seems to be a software problem that you cannot prevent it from rolling to the left. My keyboard can perform the other functions, but I cannot change the direction while rolling. Obviously I'm not the only one with the problem, shouldn't something be changed?
lupo

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:27 pm

lupo, that depends on if your problem is the same as the OP's problem or not... some craft will roll to the left (or right if their single engine spins the other way) and you must adjust their rudder and/or aileron trim to make them fly level... you should familiarize yourself with p-factor to understand why some craft do this rolling IRL...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Johan G » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:31 am

wkitty42 wrote in Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:27 pm:[...] some craft will roll to the left (or right if their single engine spins the other way) and you must adjust their rudder and/or aileron trim to make them fly level... you should familiarize yourself with p-factor to understand why some craft do this rolling IRL...

This is a good video on the left turning tendencies of propeller aircraft:
Cyndy Hollman, Left Turning Tendencies (Private Pilot Lesson 1e) (14 min, uploaded Apr 11, 2018)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby lupo » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:41 pm

Thanks for the answer, wkitty42! My problem isn't rolling to the left. I try to prevent it. The functions of the keyboard are OK, only the movements (<-, ->) to correct the turning to the left on the floor do not work as described in the manual. I use the yoke from logitech and the keybord. Do I also need a joystick?
lupo

Postby benih » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:02 pm

You need to apply rudder, not aileron.
I think the keybinds are period and comma.
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX
Version: next

Postby V12 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:03 am

It is typical problem of the keyboard pilots.
Gentlemans, this is flight simulator, not game on the Amiga. For good experiences, You need good joystick, for even better experiences, some yoke and the rudder pedals and throttle levers. Simply the keyboard is not enough. There is one more option - try to fly with the mouse. Mouse steering is activated after hit the TAB key. Without pressed mouse button, You will pitch and roll, if You press left button and move mouse, You will control the rudder or nose wheel steering if You are on the ground.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby Parnikkapore » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:06 pm

The keys for rudder control are 0 and Enter. Period and Comma are the toe brakes.

I highly recommend flying with the mouse rather than trying to fly with the keyboard. Of course, a joystick would be even better.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby lupo » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:25 pm

Hi V12,Yes, I tried to control the nose wheel with the left mouse button, but it doesn't respond. However, other functions with the mouse are possible.
lupo

Postby V12 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:30 pm

Did You hit TAB key ?
I tested mouse steering on A320family 1 minute ago on freshly compiled FG 2020.3.10. It worked. I don't know where is Your problem :(
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Next

Return to Flying