Board index FlightGear Support Flying

EC 135 control sensitivity

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

EC 135 control sensitivity

Postby aleycon » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:31 pm

Hi,
I'm FG beginner and I'm trying to fly a helicopters. I have read somewhere in this forum, that EC 135 is good for beginners. I was surprised, that a cyclic control is so sensitive. In my eyes is nearly comparable to R22, which is more difficult as I have read here. For cyclic I use a simple joystick "Thrustmaster Flight" without centering springs. I use a FG 2019.1.1 and for EC 135 I have downloaded model from an official mirror (app. month ago). I've also tried a S76C++ which is bigger then EC135 and when I fly, the cyclic control is'nt so sensitive. Do I have to change settings in some XML config or is it correct? I also don't know how to switch off an ATIS, which is still speak in loop. I've tried to mute it by turn down volume of AI and AI/MP in sound configuration, but woman is still speaking and speaking ... :-)
Thanks.
aleycon

Re: EC 135 control sensitivity

Postby Johan G » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:44 am

aleycon wrote in Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:31 pm:I was surprised, that a cyclic control is so sensitive. [...] Do I have to change settings in some XML config or is it correct?

Typically helicopter controls are super sensitive. These are some YouTube videos demonstrating that:

Air Water Art - Christmas Trees 2010 | Putting Trees In Trucks (8 min)

Crosswind Aviation Services, LLC - Crop dusting in a helicopter (12 min. Actual crop dusting begins 3 min in). Note how he rests his forearm in his lap.

Large movements are typically only done when you want some really abrupt changes in direction of travel. In the following video also notice how he make the big pitch movements with a 90 degree offset. This is due to the rotor, effectively a big spinning mass, react to inputs like as if it was a gyroscope.

Hello - Helicopter crop dusting in Kentucky (8 min. Actual crop dusting begins 3 min in)

Since you are a bit new to helicopters and I find them quite counter-intuitive (I crashed a lot when I was trying it, but later managed to fly a bit later) you might find the Smarter Every Day DEEP DIVE #1 - Helicopters Physics! YouTube series useful.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby aleycon » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:44 pm

Hi Johan G,
Thank you very much for your answer and very nice eye-opening videos and advice. It's almost unbelievable what is possible do with helicopter, especially in the third video where the helicopter land on a small transport deck. As I see, I have to much trying and practise and practise :-)
Thank you for your favor.
aleycon

Postby Johan G » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:13 am

You are welcome. :)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Return to Flying