Board index FlightGear Support Flying

flying issues

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

flying issues

Postby henkvveldhoven » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:37 pm

Hello, hier henkvveldhoven, There are a few things in flightgear I don't fully understand in regard flying.
For exmple I do not have fully understandings about the cockpit dashboard of the cessna 172P. Where can I see the actual speed for instance. I think i know the meter for the engine power and the altitude level, but there is a lot i do not know.

Another point is at what speed by take off can I realy take off. I just do something when I thing, well now it should go, but I do not know it exactly, so it goes many time wrong. Also it is very omportant in what position I have to hold the ailerons. Is this neutral, or should allready a little bit backwards?

Also when I get in the air, I have problems by correcting the fact that the airplane is turning left.

Perhaps somebody can help me out.

henkvveldhoven
henkvveldhoven

Re: flying issues

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:23 pm

have you used the tutorials in the craft?

on left turning, this is normal with propellor driven craft... it is known as p-factor... you specifically have to counter it by using some rudder and possibly aileron...

you might also want to locate a 1981 c172p POH (Pilots Operation Handbook)...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Johan G » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:06 am

If you are new the most important things are probably getting a grasp of the "Basic T" instruments as well as the primary and secondary effects of the throttle and elevator.

Standard instruments
Left to right, top to bottom: Airspeed indicator (white arc is good airspeed with extended flaps, green arc is with retracted flaps, in the yellow arc abrupt maneuvers could case damage, red line should not be exceeded), Attitude indicator, Altimeter (note the small window to the right for the altimeter setting), Turn indicator (a complete 360 degree level turn with a wingtip to the wite bar will take 2 minutes), Gyrocompass (horizontal situation indicator on fancier aircraft) and Vertical speed indicator.
Six flight instruments
Contributions/Meggar at the English language Wikipedia [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)], via Wikimedia Commons

Even in an airliner the instruments are placed in a similar way, only with airspeed and alttude shown with "tapes" instead of "steam gauges".

Primary and secondary effects of throttle and elevator
This is a common pitfall leaving people barely able to ascend, and to descend for a landing way too fast (typically with bouncy landings as a consequence).

Most people would intuitively believe there to be only one effect, in essence that decreasing the throttle would decrease airspeed and increasing it would increase airspeed, and similarly that pitching the nose up would put the aircraft in a climb, while pitching the nose down would put the aircraft in a dive.

Those effects are however only short lived secondary effects of the throttle and elevator. The long term primary effects are that keeping the nose pitched up will increase the drag and lower the airspeed if the altitude is kept, and that a higher throttle setting will mean more lift from the increased airflow over the wing and thus a higher climb rate.

In practice this is most apparent on final approach, where you adjust airspeed mainly with pitch and descent rate mainly with the throttle. The most dangerous thing is approaching with too little energy (too little airspeed and too low). If stalling many would instinctively pitch up the nose to climb, while they end up loosing even more airspeed and drop like a rock. The best way to handle that (apart from not getting low and slow) is increasing the throttle and pitching slightly down. Also keep in mind that in the last turns to the runway heading, you would be banking the aircraft and thus pointing the lift vector not up, but a bit to the side, resulting in less lift.

I highly, highly recommend skimming through FAA's Airplane Flying Handbook, it helped me a bunch when I was new at this.

Edit: Fixed error from late night posting. Most people would instinctively think that pitching the nose down would put the aircraft in a dive. :oops:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby henkvveldhoven » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:19 pm

Hello, here Henk again, I thank everybody for their comments. I surely will look after the books that are recommended and will rea the comments over and over till I understand them fully.

I keep trying, Henk
henkvveldhoven

Return to Flying